none
Emails appearing in Chinese and other characters RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - at the moment we have one user who is experiencing a very strange issue: random emails seem to be appearing in a whole swathe of Chinese characters, mixed with other characters. Some emails are OK, and others are completely unreadable. This has only started happening in the last couple of days since the Outlook update.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean the messages in his inbox perform weird? And do these messages have anything in common? the same sender?

Have you installed the Chinese language pack? If so, please uninstall the language pack and test. And could you please tell me the version of your Outlook?(Click File > Office Account > About Outlook)

In this situation, it is suggested to check these problematic messages on your web mail and see if there is any difference. By this we are able to determine if this is a client issue.

In addition, if possible, please provide me with some screenshots about your issue so that I can do further research.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:43 AM
  • Thanks for your reply - one thing I have noticed is that when the user goes onto outlook.com and checks the emails there, they are the same (showing random Chinese characters, and others too).

We are all using Office 365 Pro Plus - it's a hybrid setup. Outlook version for both users: 1902 (Build 11328.20368)

I will try to get a screen grab, although when one of our users tries to open the email displaying Chinese characters in the preview window (and online), it crashes outlook (AND the online version).

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Are these problematic messages internal or external? If they are internal messages, please try the suggestions below:

1. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    2. It is also suggested to temporarily turn off your antivirus software to check if the issue will be gone, because some antivirus programs perform email scanning.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:36 AM
  • Thanks Aiden - actually one user has had this issue from an internal email, and the other has had the issue from an external email that she subscribed to.

This was also affecting outlook.com as well

Friday, August 16, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your updates.

The settings on the Outlook.com server are the same. That is to say, it is basically impossible to check from the server side. Serious doubt is that the individual user's computer is loaded with something that should not be installed. Please check again.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, August 23, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Thanks Aiden - this seems to have stopped happening all on its own, although I did change the format of her emails, and this seemed to help. She now has a new laptop, and the problem has not come back.

thanks for your help

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

I'm glad to see you have fixed your problem and thanks for your sharing:)

By the way, do you mind helping mark the post above as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:54 AM