none
Task Sequence to update HP password-protected BIOS? RRS feed

• Question

• I had task sequences to update the BIOS and apply a password to brand new laptops we received last year.

Now some of these laptops are returning to be reimaged for new users and the MDT deployment for previously-used laptops is failing because the task sequence cannot complete updating the BIOS to the current BIOS version on laptops that already have the password on the BIOS.

We can manually go into the BIOS and set the password to blank before launching the MDT deployment task, but this is a hassle and wastes a lot of time if it is forgotten and the half-finished deployment has to be restarted after clearing the password.

I use the command "HPQFlash.exe -s -a" to apply the BIOS update silently in the task sequence.  Does anyone know the syntax needed for the HP BIOS update to work on both new laptops without a password as well as reassigned laptops that have the BIOS password already applied from an earlier deployment?

Is there a better method to handle this?

Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• What is the purpose of password protecting the BIOS if not to prevent people from modifying the BIOS?

If there *was* a way around this, then IMHO it would be a serious HP Security Bug.  So I would say it's by design.

At best, find how programmatically(via script) change the password back to blank. Then update.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:52 PM
  • I didn't say I wanted to crack the password.  I know what the password is.  I wanted an automated way to handle the password such as a command to enter the password automatically during the BIOS update.  

If you use the GUI to update the BIOS, you get a password prompt if there is a password applied.  There should be some way to do this via a script.

The other option is use a command to reset the password to blank, apply the BIOS update and then reapply the password.

Whatever works.

I'm looking for examples of how this is done.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:58 PM
  • I understand this. You should get the command line usage and procedures from HP.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, January 6, 2014 5:28 AM