none
Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• 1) I want to assign a user to a task. When I click on the address book next to the field I get a search. I put in the name and it searches and finds the person - one of the three users. Yes I know I could have typed in the user name directly. But why isn't there a drop down menu for me to select directly.

2) How do I add names to the address book. Why isn't it integrated with Outlook so my address book there is made available to the Team site. This is what this seamlessness is all supposed to be about isn't it

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi mikBA,

This is common behavior of the SharePoint people picker, and for 3 users your example would work well, but when you have hundreds or thousands of users a drop down is not practical.  In other parts of Project you will find a drop down - for example in the schedule web part of Project Professional once you have added resources to the team they will be available via a drop down.  This is then a filtered list of  just the resources you have chosen to be on that project, rather than the full list of people.

For your second question this very much depends where your users exist.  It is possible to bring in from an Active Directory, or even import via Project Professional - where is the central list of your users coming from?

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, February 18, 2013 2:52 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi mikBA,

This is common behavior of the SharePoint people picker, and for 3 users your example would work well, but when you have hundreds or thousands of users a drop down is not practical.  In other parts of Project you will find a drop down - for example in the schedule web part of Project Professional once you have added resources to the team they will be available via a drop down.  This is then a filtered list of  just the resources you have chosen to be on that project, rather than the full list of people.

For your second question this very much depends where your users exist.  It is possible to bring in from an Active Directory, or even import via Project Professional - where is the central list of your users coming from?

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, February 18, 2013 2:52 PM
    Owner
  • Brian. Thanks - Understand. My contacts ( not users) are all in my Outlook Address book
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:44 AM