Multi-valued column selection buttons always have focus for Enter key in New/Edit forms RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list with a multi-valued column, among others, and I noticed that with the exception of when first entering the form, regardless of which field has the cursor while entering data in a new/edit form, a press of the Enter key is always bound to either the Add or Remove buttons associated with the multi-valued field. This produces unexpected behavior as when a user types into a different field and hits Enter, and a value is then either added or removed from a different field entirely (which may not even be visible on the screen, if there are a large number of fields in the list).

Has anyone else observed this behavior, and is there a fix for it?

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:44 PM

All replies

• Press the Tab key instead of Enter. 
    Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    • Proposed as answer by Qiao WeiModerator Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Kirchh Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:45 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Are you confirming the bug I described?
    • Proposed as answer by Qiao WeiModerator Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:45 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Kirchh Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:45 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:50 PM
  • I can confirm that there is typically a button that has the focus, such that when the Enter key is pressed it will trigger the execution for that button.  This has been the case since time began.  So, I can't call it a bug, but rather standard behavior. 

I very seldom press the Enter key because of this reason on most any website, or Windows application for this matter, as the 'correct' button just never seems to have the focus... at least IMHO.

I also have a personal vendetta against the Multi-Valued field, and that they should never, ever be used for any reason, but I'm a database normalization snob.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:04 PM
  • I can confirm that there is typically a button that has the focus, such that when the Enter key is pressed it will trigger the execution for that button.  This has been the case since time began.  So, I can't call it a bug, but rather standard behavior. 

I very seldom press the Enter key because of this reason on most any website, or Windows application for this matter, as the 'correct' button just never seems to have the focus... at least IMHO.

I also have a personal vendetta against the Multi-Valued field, and that they should never, ever be used for any reason, but I'm a database normalization snob.

I hear you -- let's call it a questionable choice rather than a bug. But it sure is inconvenient for users.

Agree completely about the multi-valued field issue; I am a data structures uber-snob, in fact. Won many a snob-off.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:15 PM
  • To Qiao Wei: Please don't propose my questions as answers.

sorry, I clicked them by mistake when my page crashes, sorry for the inconvenience.

Qiao

Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:46 AM