none
migration from Lync 2013 to Skype for Business 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Guys, 

I want to ask you some things about the migration from Lync 2013 to S4B 2015 on new hardware. My Topology is simple:

1 Frontend

1 EdgePool

1 Mediation Pool

If i read the Technet, the upgrade plan define this steps:

1) Migrate all the internal pool

2) Migrate Edge Pool

3) Migrate CMS Pool

Some other blogs define to migrate first the External Pool and then the internal pool. Lync 2013 Edge is able to connect to a Skype for Business Frontend Pool? Or i need to migrate first the external url and the reverse proxy on the S4B Edge and then move the users from Lync 2013 Pool to Skype for Business Pool?

In addition, if i want to migrate, the Lync 2013 Pools need to but updates to the latest CU?

Best Regards,

Andrea

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrea,

as I understend you want to create a fresh new Skype4B pool side-by-side with your Lync 2013 pool. In that case I use the same procedure used to migrate from Lync 2010 to 2013, there aren't big differences.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj205369(v=ocs.15).aspx

To answer your questions:
    Lync 2013 Edge is able to connect to a Skype for Business Frontend Pool? -> YES

the Lync 2013 Pools need to but updates to the latest CU? -> It's always reccomended to update to latest CU every component of your Lync (and Skype4B) deployment.

Regards
    Luca

Luca Vitali | MCITP Lync/Exchange | snom Certified Engineer | Sonus SBC1000 Engineer

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrea,

as I understend you want to create a fresh new Skype4B pool side-by-side with your Lync 2013 pool. In that case I use the same procedure used to migrate from Lync 2010 to 2013, there aren't big differences.

To answer your questions:
    Lync 2013 Edge is able to connect to a Skype for Business Frontend Pool? -> YES

the Lync 2013 Pools need to but updates to the latest CU? -> It's always reccomended to update to latest CU every component of your Lync (and Skype4B) deployment.

Regards
    Luca

Luca Vitali | MCITP Lync/Exchange | snom Certified Engineer | Sonus SBC1000 Engineer

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:03 PM
  • Hi Luca!

Yes i want to create a fresh installation of S4B on new virtual machines with Windows 2012 R2. Ok first of all i need to update Lync 2013 to the latest CU and then i need to create the same topology for S4B and move the user from old pool to new pool. 

Some sites talking about the dialin conference number, and CMS. After moving all the users to S4B pool i need to migrate all the other components on the new pool? When i will decommission Lync 2013 all of this components are migrated automatically to the Skype for Business? 

Best Regards

Andrea

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:12 AM
  • Hi Andrea,

prior to decommission Lync 2013 pool you have to move everything from Lync to Skype4B, following point 7 and 8 of this guide

The Topology builder check if something is still on Lync 2013 (users, Conferencing directory or any other object), if that is true it block the decommission until you have manually finished the migration.

There is no automatic migration process at all, I'm sorry.

Best regards

Luca

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Another one thing. Can i associate the my two PBX to Lync 2013 and Skype for Business at the same time in the same Topology?
    Monday, January 11, 2016 7:58 PM
  • Hi, you will need only two trunk PBX1<->SfB, PBX2<->SfB.
    Users on Lync2013 could use these two trunk, calls will be routed via SfB.
    Regards
    Luca

Monday, January 11, 2016 9:28 PM
  • So can i switch my Trunk directly on SFB 2015? In your opinion i can switch directly the internal DNS record on SFB?
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 4:33 PM
  • Hi Andfer1983,

You can modify the Trunk settings in topology and associate it with SFB mediation Server/pool.

Moreover, you can also update the DNS records and point them to the new SFB Front-End Server/pool.

Best regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 18, 2016 9:52 AM