Cannot see local folder inside bubble RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have as application that gets one of its folders updated frequently.  A user goes to a URL and the update downloads and expands to the following directory c:\Program Files\Earthsoft\EQuIS\Formats .ie. :\Program Files\Earthsoft\EQuIS\Formats\NYSDEC.  When I try to open this folder from within the program inside the bubble I cannot see the newly created folder NYSDEC even though I have set merge directory on the Formats folder in my sequence (I did this using admin studio's Virtual Package Editor).  I am using App-V 5.1 HF7.

Does anyone have any ideas what can be wrong?

Kind Regards,

Nigel

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:33 PM

Answers

• I have now got it working but not the way I thought App-V worked.

When exposing local files to the bubble you have to select 'Merge with Local Directory' from a top down approach.

Dir1\Dir2
          \Dir3\Dir4
          \Dir5
          \Dir6\Dir7
          Dir2files....

I.e if you need to see the files from Dir4 you will have to set 'Merge with Local Directory' on Dir1,Dir2,Dir3,Dir4.  You will need to select 'Override Local Directory' on all other directories.  THe problem you may have though is that if you have files in Dir2 and Dir3 then they will be merged too and they may be Dll's or EXEs or other config files that may break the virtualised application.

It would have made more sense if we were allowed a bottom up approach to merging directories.

Nigel

• Marked as answer by trailblazer1 Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:59 AM

All replies

• One thing also is that when I modify the package using the sequencer and look at the package files tab, the Override Local Directory option is greyed out on the folder.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:50 PM
  • How does this update process work? Does it run from within the application? If so, did you enable vfs write? As it's by default not possible to write into programfiles.

Roy Essers

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:41 PM
  • The update process runs from outside the bubble.   The user downloads a self extractable .exe which places the update files into the local directory c:\Program Files\Earthsoft\EQuIS\Formats.  Inside the bubble we need to be able to read both merged directories.

Nigel

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:51 AM
  • I have now got it working but not the way I thought App-V worked.

When exposing local files to the bubble you have to select 'Merge with Local Directory' from a top down approach.

Dir1\Dir2
          \Dir3\Dir4
          \Dir5
          \Dir6\Dir7
          Dir2files....

I.e if you need to see the files from Dir4 you will have to set 'Merge with Local Directory' on Dir1,Dir2,Dir3,Dir4.  You will need to select 'Override Local Directory' on all other directories.  THe problem you may have though is that if you have files in Dir2 and Dir3 then they will be merged too and they may be Dll's or EXEs or other config files that may break the virtualised application.

It would have made more sense if we were allowed a bottom up approach to merging directories.

Nigel

• Marked as answer by trailblazer1 Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:59 AM