Explorer Performance when openening a local folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Sometimes when I navigate in the Windows Explorer (localy) then the Explorer loads for a long time.
    This even happens for Folders with only two small textfiles.
    It also sometimes happens when I try to sort the Content of a local Folder.
    In this case it doesn't realy matter how many items are in the Folder, or what type of file.

Yust now it took the Windows Explorer ~1 Minute to Display My local Drives and even longer to display the Usage graphic.

Any idea what this can be, or how I can find out?

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:07 PM

All replies

• I'd guess that you possibly have installed an incompatible or ill-behaved shell extension (basically, a program that adds functionality to Explorer)...

The freeware program ShellExView can be used to list what shell extensions are installed in Explorer, and methodically disable them to test (though as I recall you need to log out and back in after making changes and before testing).

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

If you sort the Company column it will put all the Microsoft stuff together in the middle, and all the light red colored 3rd party shell extensions will be grouped together at the top and bottom.

You can right-click on an item to disable or enable it.

Good luck.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the Tip, I will try it.
    But do you now any other way I can track this down, since it isn't easy to reproduce, but rater happens randomly, so it is hard to tell if it worked or not.
    And I have this on multiple machines with different software installed.

Best would probably some kind of profiling, but is it possible to profile a Windows Explorer process?

Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:18 AM
  • I saw this issue with MSE and Windows Defender. That's why I never use MSE again and always completely uninstall Windows Defender in Windows 8.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, September 2, 2012 8:17 PM
    Answerer
  • I had a thought:  Is it possible your disk drive just spun down?  It does that to save power.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Sunday, September 2, 2012 11:39 PM
  • Hi Noel,

I don't think that's the case for multiple reasons:

1.) Last time it happened with a RAM-Disk, and other times with SSD's.
    2.) It happens for multiple Drives/Disks and took about 30 min's till it was back to Normal.
    3.) Every other kind of access to the Disk worked fine, like CMD Windows, only Windows Explorer / File Dialogs where effected

Monday, September 3, 2012 6:39 AM
  • Hi Ziegler,
    Did it also only Effect Windows Explorer / Shell File Dialogs for you, or Every kind of Disk access?
    Monday, September 3, 2012 6:42 AM
  • yes, it only affects Explorer. The Explorer is extremely slow.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:53 PM
    Answerer