ADFS sql database and functionality RRS feed

• Question

• There are a couple of adfs servers with adfs configuration and artifact databases on a different sql server. Will the adfs still be functional if the sql database goes down? By functional I meant if the SSO page will be up and if the users trying to access various relying parties will be able to authenticate and log in to the applications? 

Friday, November 15, 2019 3:00 PM

Answers

• I am not sure what you mean by "on a different sql server". All ADFS server of the same farm should point to the same SQL databases. 

When the database is not available nothing will work. No change, no read, no authentication. In other words, your ADFS farm is down.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Saturday, November 16, 2019 10:48 PM

All replies

• I am not sure what you mean by "on a different sql server". All ADFS server of the same farm should point to the same SQL databases. 

When the database is not available nothing will work. No change, no read, no authentication. In other words, your ADFS farm is down.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Saturday, November 16, 2019 10:48 PM
  • Thank you Pierre. Different sql server as in both adfs point to the same sql server just that it is hosted in another standalone machine. 
    Monday, November 18, 2019 9:36 PM