none
Distribution/Security Groups not working on Web Part Target Audiences.

Question

• I have a Calendar and an Announcements web part, that I'm trying to apply Target Audiences.

I can find SharePoint groups, but not AD security groups. I'm able to add these same security groups too the site permissions, but cannot find them when I search under Edit Web Part -> Adcenced -> Target Audiences.

What can I do to add AD security groups to Target Audiences.

Thanks

James T.F

p.s I do have publishing features enabled.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018 9:00 PM

All replies

• Have you created an Audience in the UPSA with that security group? Has the Audience been complied?

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018 9:22 PM
  • Hi James ,

There is difference between People Picker control and Audience picker control used in audience targeting a web part. People picker queries Domain Controller directly when you search for a user or AD group. It can query the Active Directory directly. Audience picker queries the User Database created by User Profile Service running in SharePoint . So we cannot add an AD security group directly to the target audience. In order to add an AD security group, we need to create audiences in the central administration.

Please refer to below web link to manage audience .

http://blog.arjanfraaij.com/2011/05/adding-active-directory-ad-group-to.html

Also please make sure :

1. At least one user is added to that AD group .

2. You have set UPA connection to import profile.

3. Do a full sync .

There is a workaround is try creating a SP group, add your AD group to this SP group and audience the web part by the SP Group.

Best Regards ,

Anthony

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 7:55 AM