none
Project Server 2010 move data from Prod to Test RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i need to create a test instance of our Project Server 2010 PWA site.

Due to cost restrictions i cannot deploy a test instance on a different server, so i have to integrate it into the existing one. We need to move all projects and their associated project sites (with their content).

I have read a few post about doing it between farms but i have yet to find a detailed guide on how to do the migration between two PWA sites on the same server.

I dont have a lot of experience with sharepoint, so if someone could give me some pointers that would be great.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• I believe you can use the same 5-database restore approach like you would when move to a different farm.

See Andrew's very easy to follow series of posts as to how to do this: http://azlav.umtblog.com/2011/06/07/project-server-2010-database-restore-part-i/

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:21 PM
  • This got me along the way however is run into issue which i can only assume are due to the causes highlighted in Brian Smiths Bloghttp://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2010/08/11/project-server-2010-5-db-restore-and-provision-cannot-be-used-within-the-same-farm-to-clone-a-pwa-site.aspx

I can see the list of project however i cannot access the project sites.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Hi,

Your only real options are:

1. Create a second PWA instance with a different name, using copied and renamed versions of the four project databases. This will contain the project information and configuration, but will not have the project workspaces, pdp's or any customisations in the  original /pwa site.

2. Spin up a dedicated second test host on a VM, then do the 5DB attach,

hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:31 PM
  • So there is no way to move across the project workspace, pdp's and customizations of the original pwa site.

There is no work i can do at the content db level nor will the playbook backup and export help me out.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:41 PM
  • So i figured i would play around a bit see if i can get something happening.

This is the process i used:

1. backup the 5 databases
    2. restore the Archive, Draft, Published and Reporting data bases to new DB's
    3. Create a new managed web app running on a different port, let it create its own content db
    4. remove the new content db from central admin
    5. restore the content db onto the db create by sharepoint with override
    6. I ran a script that replaced the existing SiteID in all tables that contained the column to a new number (for ease of management i just decremented the number by 1)
    7. I edited the Sites tables and change the Id to the ones picked in step 6
    8. I edited the DatabaseInformation table and change the ID to a new number, i also changed the AlternateAccessMappingXML value to the new web all
    9. I then proceeded to attach the DB through central admin - this gave me no issues
    10. I then provisioned a new PWA site in the new web app.
    11. I then ran a playbook back-up from the prod instance and did a restore to the test instance.

The result, a whole bunch of my projects workspaces are now accessible in project center.

Not sure what the distinction is between the ones that works and the ones that dont, but i will keep looking to see if i can find any commonalities.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

What you described may have worked, but direct database editing is not officially supported. As such, worse case you can't be 100% sure that your test environment is a replica of production and what may work in test doesn't in production.

The options given above were the supported best practice options on one farm.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:43 AM