none
Merge TWO Resource Name entries as ONE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I currently have two resources:

1. PM

2. BA

Both these resources have tasks allocated whose progress has been tracked.

I've come to realise that the PM has been doing all the BA work. Is there a way I can merge the two names together?

Currently I've replaced the BA name with PM which works BUT I don't like seeing duplicate entries. 

Pls help

Cheers

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You should replace BA by PM in the assignments for BA; then as BA's work has become 0, delete the BA resource.

Greetings,

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:00 AM

All replies

• If you have already replaced BA's name with PM, then all tasks must be showing only PM as the resource; where are you finding the duplicate enteries? Also specify the Project Version.
    Sapna S
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Hi,

You should replace BA by PM in the assignments for BA; then as BA's work has become 0, delete the BA resource.

Greetings,

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:00 AM
  • Hi nicholaswan,

When you say "I've replaced the BA name with PM", do you mean that you have overwritten the BA name with PM (so by typing PM over the old BA name)?
    If so, you will end up with two (different) resources, both with the same name 'PM'. As a result, you might end up with the name PM twice on those tasks.

To replace a resource on a task, you need to select the task, open the 'Assign Resources' window, select the BA resource, click the 'Replace' button and select the PM resource. Remark that this is not possible if the PM is already assigned to that task.

You cannot merge two resources. If both the BA and PM are assigned to the same task, you wannot replace the BA by the PM. You will need to transfer the work of the BA manually to the PM.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:55 PM
  • In the Resource sheet i copied the whole PM row and did a 'paste special as text' over the BA row.

This means ALL tasks that were BA are now PM which is good

The duplication I am getting is in the RESOURCE SHEET. I see the same name twice.  It looks messy when i have the same resource listed twice on the Resource sheet. So I was wondering whether there was a way to merge two resources into ONE NAME.

As a last result I can manually go through each assignment and change BA to PM. I was hoping that there was an easier way.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Hi,

Changing the resource on all assignments where it is assigned is not that much work!!

In the resource Names column, Use find/replace to replace PM by BA.

Greetings,

Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:04 AM
  • @Jan: that will not work if both PM and BA are assigned to the same task (which seems to be the case?)

@nicholaswan: copying one resource over another is not a good practice and will not merge the two.

Here is what you need to do (yes, there is some manual work involved):

• In the Resource Sheet, rename the pasted resource to something different than PM (to be able to ditinguish between them): e.g. rename him back to BA
    • In the Gantt Chart view, make sure all tasks are visible
    • Apply a custom filter on the Resource Names column that says 'Resource Names does not contain PM'
    • Open the Replace window: Replace 'BA' by 'PM'. Make sure to specify 'Look in Resource Names'. Click 'Replace All'. Click yes on the warning about actuals (this is the only replace method that will also transfer actual work from BA to PM)
    • Clear the filter
    • Now the manual part: for tasks to which both BA and PM are assigned, you need to merge the two resource manually by both transferring actual workand remaining work from BA to PM. This might be the easiest in the Task Usage view. Unfortunately, this is a manual operation (unless you write a macro to do it for you)
    • Once all BA occurrences have been replace by PM, you can delete BA from the schedule in the Resource Sheet

Regards,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:37 AM