none
Is it possible to set the working day to 7.5 and the working week to 40? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there an scenario where you set 7.5 hours per day, but keep the 40 hours per week? Is it because leveling purposes?

Monday, August 12, 2013 3:43 PM

All replies

• Not really - it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense (1) and it would confuse the PMs (2).

One option is to cap the max units of a resource in a project to 90%, and then use 40 hours to calculate overallocations from.  Of course, at that point, you can use 90% to calculate overallocations and get the same results.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Monday, August 12, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Riollano,

Yes, you can set those parameters to whatever you want, but interpreting the results may be a bit challenging.

I assume you are referring to the setting under schedule options. The hours per day and hours per week settings simply determine how Project will display those units in a Duration field. Project schedules everything in minutes, (actually tenths of a minute), so internally all time values are stored as minutes. When displaying the Duration field, Project divides the number of minutes in its database by whatever setting the user selects as the definition of a day, week, month, etc. So for example, if the total duration of a task is 4800 minutes (internally), and the hours per day is at the default value of 8, and assuming the display units for the Duration field is hours, Project will then display the duration as 10 days. If however, the user has set the hours per day to 7.5, those same 4800 minutes will be displayed as 10.66 days. The same process applies if the duration units is set for weeks. With a default setting of 40 hours per week, the 4800 minutes will be displayed as 2 weeks.

I'm not sure how that relates to your use of resource leveling, but I'm sure having inconsistent definitions for a day and week will award you with several hours of confusion.

Hope this helps,

John

Monday, August 12, 2013 4:33 PM
  • Thanks guys!

I think these 2 numbers are use for leveling day by day (7.5) and Week by Week (40 or 37.5), that was why I mentioned the leveling part.

Monday, August 12, 2013 4:43 PM
  • Riollano,

Yes, that is correct and as both Andrew and I stated, using inconsistent definitions is not a good idea.

So, did your question get answered, or is there more to it? If either or both of us answered your question, please mark it at such, otherwise please expand on what question remains.

John

Monday, August 12, 2013 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry but these settings do not play at all in leveling, not at all. As John explains, they only play a part in the conversion for the sake of presentation. Calculations are in minutes, nothing else. The working time will define the results, not these display parameters.

Greetings,

Monday, August 12, 2013 5:04 PM