Superfetch stops working RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having a problem with my laptop for some time now.  I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

I'll boot the computer and everything pops up quickly.  Once I go to click on the internet or even the start button, everything will freeze.  It will start up again after a few minutes, sometimes even an hour.  

I've run the troubleshooting tool in Windows in safe mode and get a message that says Superfetch has stopped working.  I can't start Superfetch in safe mode so I try logging into normal mode.  It takes awhile to finally get into Services and once I do, it says that Superfetch is running normally again.

What is causing Superfetch to turn on and off like this?  The error code I get is:  7001 from Service Control Manager the dependency service or group failed to start.  

In the past, I've used System Restore and this has solved the problem with Superfetch.  However, when I tried this over the weekend, my computer told me that I didn't have any restore points saved.  I've always had restore points saved so this was surprising.  I went into Services and noticed that my Volume Shadow Copies was turned off and set to Manual.  This was strange, as I haven't touched this before.  I turned it back on and set it back to default settings.  But now I don't have any good restore points.  

What's causing my settings to change on their own?  The only thing I can think of is a virus but my Kapersky scan says nothing is wrong. 

I've run scannow, disk defrag, c-cleaner, check disk, virus scan and everything in between with no errors in any of them.  I can't seem to find an answer online.  My memory is fine and I'm not running high CPU usage.  

I'd highly appreciate any help!

• Edited by LaDav421 Monday, January 2, 2012 4:25 PM
    Monday, January 2, 2012 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest to create another user account and login to see if the issue occurs.

If the issue persists, you can try to perform an in-place upgrade to fix it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:10 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:06 AM
  • I did this and it did not work.  I ended up bringing in the laptop and I have several viruses that have infested my computer, viruses that Kapersky did not catch!  Very frustrating to pay for antivirus and have it not work, costing me a lot of money in repairs.

Thanks for your help, though!

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:32 AM

All replies

• Maybe clean out your c:\windows\prefetch folder (except layout.ini and the readyboot folder, just because it takes more time to generate those again).

• Edited by JS2010 Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:48 PM
  • I've tried that also and it didn't solve the problem.  
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

Please verify these services are started:

DCOM Server Process Launcher

RPC Endpoint Mapper

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Security Accounts Manager

Server

If they are not started, start them and check. Follow the steps below:

a)    Click Start, type “services” on the start search box and press enter.

b)    Scroll down and check for the above mentioned services.

c)    Double click each of the services and start them if they are not started.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:38 AM
  • I did this, they were all started except for one of them, but the problem persists.  I ran a SpyBot and it removed some junk from the computer and since then, the problem only runs after startup or after hibernation.  Once I power on my laptop or wake it up, it takes about fifteen minutes before I can get into any programs.  I don't have excess programs booting at startup, either.  
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest to create another user account and login to see if the issue occurs.

If the issue persists, you can try to perform an in-place upgrade to fix it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:10 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:06 AM
  • I did this and it did not work.  I ended up bringing in the laptop and I have several viruses that have infested my computer, viruses that Kapersky did not catch!  Very frustrating to pay for antivirus and have it not work, costing me a lot of money in repairs.

Thanks for your help, though!

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:32 AM