Windows 7 Freezes After a While RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have three models of Lenovo M93P and M900 Tinys, all with the same problem, they freeze after a certain period of time. The amount of time is indistinct, and this all happens randomly. They all run Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1, which was installed via MDT 2013 with drivers taken from the Lenovo SCCM driver pack/exe. A user tries to use one of the frozen PCs, which does respond to the Ctrl+Alt+Delete press, enters their credentials, then the PC hangs at the "Welcome" message. The only recourse is to forcibly restart the PC via the power button. Everything is fine on the next boot. Simply restarting one of the frozen PCs, instead of logging into it, has nothing happen. No messages on the login screen, indicating a shutdown, nothing until I forcibly reboot the PC. I can tell their frozen remotely, before trying to use the PC, from our endpoint management system, Bigfix, which shows the afflicted PCs as offline. This is all random. It is not model specific, it is not action specific, it is not time specific, and it is not image specific. This happens no matter what OS image I deploy to the Tinys. I'm going to try with just a plain install of Windows 7, and see if that does anything. It is tough to tell exactly where in the Windows Event Log to look. I start with the last time Bigfix has the client online, but there is nothing there. No kernel power indicators or anything. The OS is set to have the PCs never sleep, or never hibernate, with the display powering-off after an hour. The computers are in classrooms, and boot every morning via the BIOS, and shut down each night with a GPO-based scheduled task. I tried boot logging one of the PCs, but the list only showed the drivers that were/were not loaded. Device Manager has no warning or errant components. All of the latest drivers have been loaded from Lenovo with TVSU.exe. Anything else I could try? I really need to fix this. 

Thanks

Jason

Saturday, August 6, 2016 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tested if we configure the Clean boot, restart the computer, then shut down and start to check the results?

How to perform a clean boot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue doesn’t appear, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half services.

We can also try to use this command to check the corrupted system file issue:

SFC /SCANNOW

To track the logon issue, we need to manually enable the logon event log:

http://www.howtogeek.com/124313/how-to-see-who-logged-into-a-computer-and-when/
    Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 8, 2016 7:09 AM
  • I'll give these suggestions a try. Thanks. Only one other service is enabled aside from the Microsoft services, but I don't think that is the cuprit. Still, I'll try these out. Thanks again.

Jason

Monday, August 8, 2016 1:47 PM
  • That's ok, just let me know if there is any update on your issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 8, 2016 3:34 PM
  • I just post to check the current status of your issue, please let me know what you have done with our suggestions and whether your issue has been resolved. 

If the issue has been resolved by yourself, it would be much appreciated if you would share the troubleshoot experience here and mark the case. It would be much useful for the person who will come across the similar issue in the future.

If the issue was resolved by the replies in this thread, please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.

Saturday, August 13, 2016 2:36 PM
  • I've tried the suggested steps and there is no resolution. Some of the computers still freeze after an idle period. Booting the computer is not a problem. It is just that the computer goes into a sort of coma after a while spent at idle. Power management has the computer on and awake at all times, shutting the display off after an hour. 

Jason

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting back.

Please save the System events under Event view as evtx file and energy report created by following commands:

powercfg /energy

Then post back onto OneDrive or similar network drive and share the link here for our research.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Will do. I'll take a sample with the suggested settings. Thanks

Jason

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:11 PM
  • I have the log file and the energy report shared at: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlaL7g1deExIc8GnK50zBAEXXhQ

Thanks!

Jason

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 3:00 PM