none
Determining initial size replica + recovery point volumes with no data to protect yet. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I'm taking a new DPM2010 server in use and I'm protecting only folders and files on the protected server.

On the DPM server I have 50TB availabale.

My question: there is not yet any data on the protected server. Starting tomorrow people will be puting data there. I know eventually the protected server will have +/- 25TB on there.

But I already want to create the protection group now (while there's no data on the protected volume yet). So do I calculate the volumes according to the 25TB the size will eventually become?

So 25TBx3/2 = 37.5 for the replica volume

25TBx14(retention) x2/100 = 7TB for the recovery point volume

So should I already put in these values while creating the protection group?

Thanks in advance,

Maurice

Monday, July 16, 2012 6:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, I would plan for the eventual size of the data to be protected and allocate the DPM replica and recovery point volumes up front to avoid fragmenting the volumes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, I would plan for the eventual size of the data to be protected and allocate the DPM replica and recovery point volumes up front to avoid fragmenting the volumes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Thank you very much Mike. 

regards,

Maurice

• Marked as answer by Mauhar Tuesday, July 17, 2012 9:53 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mauhar Tuesday, July 17, 2012 9:53 PM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 9:53 PM