none
Best practices for installing applications after deploying an OS with MDT? RRS feed

• General discussion

• All,

I'm only about 2 weeks into learning about MDT and I'm wondering what you generally do to get a full deployment underway as quickly and painlessly as possible. 

I've played around with trying to get MDT applications working as part of a Windows 7 deploy task sequence, but it always ends up with an application stalling, or some sort of cryptic error message that completely FUBARs the rest of the deployment. I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated with it and have spent way too much time than I should have trying to get this to work, I manage a few labs and workstations and need about 20 software packages up and running on each machine.

In my mind I have another alternative: deploying a windows 7 image on a VM, installing all of the applications manually, then doing a sysprep and capture. Then, whenever I need to update software, I uninstall/update on the VM and re-capture the image, rinse, repeat. This hardly seems efficient, but it seems like the most painless way to get a proper image up and running without risk of the entire application deployment failing. 

What's your deployment process? What has worked best for you? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Edited by tt8585 Wednesday, July 13, 2016 4:54 PM Clarification
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi

You need to find the silent command for every one of your application that you are trying to deploy within the MDT Task Sequence.

I always try to install the application on a virtual machine first - so that I can determine the silent parameters.

For .msi : msiexe.exe /I file.msi /q

for .exe : install.exe /s ; install.exe /q are the normal silent parameters.

Try to look at this site to get some slient parameters for your application: http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php

Another good site to get info about application deployment is : http://www.itninja.com/

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Microsoft MVP - Enterprise Mobility
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Sunday, July 17, 2016 9:26 AM
  • If you have 20 or so apps to install, then I think you're on the right track with your alternative, creating a reference image on a VM. I maintain the SOE for our customer, they have about 10 apps that are installed on every workstation, so I have a "gold" or reference image. Makes deployment time quicker, and if a new version of one of the applications comes out (or monthly windows updates) I just install it onto the reference image and run the sysprep and capture task sequence to create the new wim file.

Another benefit of having your image on a VM, is that you can take a snapshot right before you run the sysprep and capture. So the next time you need to install updates you can just revert to snapshot.

Monday, July 18, 2016 12:42 AM