none
SBS 2011 Essentials to Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I recently took over some customers at a new workplace and one has mistakingly been installed to SBS 2011 Essentials. We need it to be Standard as they wish to host thier own Exchange. How is this "migration" done or can I upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To be sure there would be no inplace upgrade, you would have to do a migration, but as far as I know there is no document for essentials to standard yet.

So I would suggest you create a virtualized copy of the essentials server and run a 2011 standard installation in migration mode and see if you will get this done. For some information you could use the sbs 2011 standard migration documentation this should help you with the steps that must be done.

look here for the migration documents http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs/gg981878

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To be sure there would be no inplace upgrade, you would have to do a migration, but as far as I know there is no document for essentials to standard yet.

So I would suggest you create a virtualized copy of the essentials server and run a 2011 standard installation in migration mode and see if you will get this done. For some information you could use the sbs 2011 standard migration documentation this should help you with the steps that must be done.

look here for the migration documents http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs/gg981878

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Is there an update to this thread anywhere?

I recently acquired an SBS 2011 Essentials client that just purchased an SBS 2011 Standard server and I need to perform the migration.

Tom Menasco, Jr. The 3 Geeks, Inc.

Monday, December 3, 2012 10:23 PM