Disable a certain grammar rule in Word 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Before I start, this is NOT a developer question, it is a user question. I want to turn off a specific grammar rule in Word 2013, "Space before Punctuation". I don't want to turn off grammar checking altogether. Is there a way to tell Word to not check a certain rule? I seem to remember this option in an earlier version of Word. Thanks.
    Monday, September 21, 2015 1:16 PM

All replies

• This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Word for Developers, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum for Word

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=word

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents,
    and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.
    Thank you for your understanding.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 3:22 AM
  • AFAIK there is no "Space before Punctuation" rule. There is, however, a 'Punctuation' grammar check which you can turn on/off. There is also an option for the 'Spaces required between sentences'. These can both be accessed via File|Options|Proofing>When correcting spelling and grammar in Word>Writing Style>Settings

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by George123345 Tuesday, September 29, 2015 6:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by CigarDoug Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:15 AM
    • Proposed as answer by macropodMVP Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 5:44 AM
  • AFAIK there is no "Space before Punctuation" rule. There is, however, a 'Punctuation' grammar check which you can turn on/off. There is also an option for the 'Spaces required between sentences'. These can both be accessed via File|Options|Proofing>When correcting spelling and grammar in Word>Writing Style>Settings

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

From the Grammar pane:

Space before Punctuation Most punctuation follows a word with no space in between.  You do need a space before an opening parenthesis or an opening bracket.  • Instead of Everybody wants more parking, better food, and flexible hours. • Consider. Everybody wants more parking, better food, and flexible hours.  • Instead of: The memo said the picnic (employees only ) has been rescheduled. • Consider. The memo said the picnic (employees only) has been rescheduled.

Thanks for showing me the Settings option, but it isn't broken down to specific rules. If I uncheck "Punctuation" it ignores these portions, but then I don't know what else is ignored.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:58 PM
  • it seems no possible, see this:

Punctuation    Incorrect punctuation, including commas, colons, end-of-sentence punctuation, punctuation in quotations, multiple spaces between words, or a semicolon used in place of a comma or colon.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Select-grammar-and-writing-style-options-86dd1e89-cfb5-4405-94df-48c284af9dbd

KR

• Proposed as answer by George123345 Tuesday, September 29, 2015 6:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Tuesday, September 29, 2015 6:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by CigarDoug Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:15 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:33 AM
  • This does NOT answer my question, or solve my problem. Thus I unmarked it as the answer. My specific question was how to turn off a single rule. In earlier versions of Word, while you were running grammar check, you had a checkbox to disable that specific rule for the current document or all documents, IIRC. One more example of Microsoft coming up with a useful functionality and then taking it away in a later version.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:17 AM
  • There is not and never has been an option to check/uncheck a grammar rule for "Space before Punctuation". I have told you what gives the nearest possible match to that.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by macropodMVP Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 1:34 PM
  • I would also like to have an option to disable this rule. Why not have a checkbox for each of all the available rules?

[o o]

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:02 AM
  • If you don't like the way something works, you could make a suggestion for a change at http://word.uservoice.com/.
    Do be aware, though, that MS is unlikely to change the behaviour for any existing Word version.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, August 14, 2016 5:36 PM
  • Word 2010 would like a word with you...

Ignore Rule is clearly an option.

Ignore Rule is clearly an option that was either removed or hidden in newer versions of office.

I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for the answer to "Ignore grammar rule word 2016" and this is the 2nd google result.  It is also false, unhelpful, and just a terrible answer in general.

Friday, April 12, 2019 5:04 PM