Virtual application won't see scanner RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

This might be a longshot but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience of this before.

I've packages an applications called "Xpress Scan" in appv 4.6 SP1, on a Windows 7 x64 Enterprise edition VM.

This application uses Kofax VRS 4.5 to communicate with the scanner. I've installed the Kofax VRS physically, along with the Twain and ISIS drivers for the scanner (which is a Fujitsu Fi-6140) - as I understand it is not recommended to virtualise device drivers.

The symptom I get when I load the virtual Xpress Scan (with all the other components physically) is that the application fails to see the scanner, even though Windows 7 can.

The troubleshooting I've tried so far is to set the local interaction allowed flag to "TRUE" in the .osd file.

I've also had a play with moving some of the fujitsu folder .dll files into the CSIDL_System folder in VFS.

Does anyone know if this is a limitation of AppV? I.E. should I even be trying to sequence and app that intergrates with a scanner?

All the best,

Ed

Monday, June 10, 2013 1:32 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your replies (particularly Znack - useful reading which gave me a few pointers).

We're going to roll this out as a Physical - I'd like to amend one of my earlier posts "Rory - yeah, if I install the app locally, and then run the virtual app on top it works fine. " - I tested this properly and it turns out the virtual app fails to read the scanner, even with the physical app installed.

From your advice I tested all of this running process monitor, to check which dlls were being called up - I also extracted from the ISIS drive pack bundle a couple of "capture runtimes" to run on the sequence - none of this helped to make the virtual app run unfortunately. 

In any case, very grateful for the pointers and suggestions.

All the best,

Ed

Monday, June 10, 2013 4:34 PM

All replies

• I would suspect an application of this nature would contain it's own contained some sort of driver. Kind of like a virtual print driver.

If you install the app locally on the same machine that you run the sequenced application on, does it work?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, June 10, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Did the Sequencer report an issues after sequencing the app? Was anything not captured when sequencing? Did you load the Kodak VRS application on the sequencing machine before virtualizing Xpress Scan?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, June 10, 2013 1:49 PM
  • Thanks Rory and Aaron for replying -

Rory - yeah, if I install the app locally, and then run the virtual app on top it works fine.

Aaron - Prior to sequencing Xpress Scan I had the Kofax VRS, Twain, and Isis drivers installed physically and I'd connected my local USB drive (with the scanner plugged in) to the virtual machine I was running the sequence on.

Only issues with the sequence were that "Files Excluded From Package" message - and all were in appdata\local\temp. There was 1 entry in Windows\winsxs\manifest cache (I must confess I don't know what this does) . Below is the full list:

- <reporting>
    - <ISSUE CODE="65538" SEVERITY="INF" MODULE="Sequencer">
      <DESCRIPTION SHORT="Files excluded from package." FULL="One or more files were excluded from the package because they are located in excluded paths. Missing files can cause unexpected application failures." />
      <RESOLUTION SHORT="Verify package functionality." FULL="To add an excluded file to the package, do the following: 1) Remove the path from the exclusion list using the Sequencer options page. 2) Add the file using the Virtual File System Tab in the sequencer and resave the package." />
    - <MOREINFO DESCRIPTION="The following files were excluded:">
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\admin.edumer\AppData\Local\Temp\CFG5760.tmp" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\admin.edumer\AppData\Local\Temp\CFG89DA.tmp" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\admin.edumer\AppData\Local\Temp\dd_vcredistMSI1C00.txt" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\admin.edumer\AppData\Local\Temp\dd_vcredistUI1C00.txt" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\admin.edumer\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF8F9.tmp\" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\admin.edumer\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF8F9.tmp\install.log" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\admin.edumer\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF8F9.tmp\MS SQL Native Client 64bit\" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\admin.edumer\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF8F9.tmp\MS SQL Native Client 64bit\sqlncli_x64.msi" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\ADMIN~1.EDU\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF8F9.tmp\MS SQL Native Client 64bit\sqlncli_x64.msi\" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\admin.edumer\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF8F9.tmp\setup.exe" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\ADMIN~1.EDU\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF8F9.tmp\setup.exe\" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\admin.edumer\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF8F9.tmp\vcredist_x64\" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\admin.edumer\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF8F9.tmp\vcredist_x64\vcredist_x64.exe" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\ADMIN~1.EDU\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF8F9.tmp\vcredist_x64\vcredist_x64.exe\" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\ADMIN~1.EDU\AppData\Local\Temp\~DF1DDDAA972F6293C0.TMP" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\ADMIN~1.EDU\AppData\Local\Temp\~DF21ECCC4F75331803.TMP" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\ADMIN~1.EDU\AppData\Local\Temp\~DF3C096D9918B8F20A.TMP" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\ADMIN~1.EDU\AppData\Local\Temp\~DF494F3915180BD1BE.TMP" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\ADMIN~1.EDU\AppData\Local\Temp\~DFD45D92726A5ECCDA.TMP" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Users\ADMIN~1.EDU\AppData\Local\Temp\~DFF4F093F50FCFDC09.TMP" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" />
      <ITEM DESCRIPTION="C:\Windows\winsxs\ManifestCache\a786a517e28d5687_blobs.bin" />
      </MOREINFO>
      </ISSUE>
      </reporting>

No weird behaviour or error messages when I sequenced the app I can recall -

If there is some kind of a virtual driver within the app - assuming I can figure out what it is, would it be possibly to extract it and run it locally somehow?

Thanks for your replies

Ed

Monday, June 10, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Hello,

Wether or not it is easy and straight forward to extract the driver from the installer depends on the vendor. Have you attempted to check wether that is possible?

See this as _general_ examples, not specific to your case at all;

http://sccmpackager.wordpress.com/category/scansoft-pdf-converter-app-v-sequencing/

http://fbinotto.blogspot.se/2012/05/app-v-and-adobe-pdf-printer.html

http://www.applepie.se/sage-fund-accounting-and-drivers

http://www.applepie.se/app-v-5-and-drivers

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, June 10, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your replies (particularly Znack - useful reading which gave me a few pointers).

We're going to roll this out as a Physical - I'd like to amend one of my earlier posts "Rory - yeah, if I install the app locally, and then run the virtual app on top it works fine. " - I tested this properly and it turns out the virtual app fails to read the scanner, even with the physical app installed.

From your advice I tested all of this running process monitor, to check which dlls were being called up - I also extracted from the ISIS drive pack bundle a couple of "capture runtimes" to run on the sequence - none of this helped to make the virtual app run unfortunately. 

In any case, very grateful for the pointers and suggestions.

All the best,

Ed

Monday, June 10, 2013 4:34 PM