none
Outlook will not open, stays minimized RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2010 on win 764 system starts to load then minimizes itself in the task bar not allowing me to open . I treid dis all add ins , clean boot , dis anti virus and still nogo . Any help ? Im sure im not the first with this issue.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue might be caused by the Outlook window being closed while it’s minimized.
    You can try the following steps:

1. Close all the Outlook instances.
    2. Right-click shortcut which you use to open Outlook
    3. Right-click on "Microsoft Outlook 2010" and choose "Properties"
    4. Under tab called "Shortcut", change window size to "Maximized" beside “Run”.
    5. Start Outlook again.

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The issue might be caused by the Outlook window being closed while it’s minimized.
    You can try the following steps:

1. Close all the Outlook instances.
    2. Right-click shortcut which you use to open Outlook
    3. Right-click on "Microsoft Outlook 2010" and choose "Properties"
    4. Under tab called "Shortcut", change window size to "Maximized" beside “Run”.
    5. Start Outlook again.

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:20 AM
  • I want to thank you for a very easy to follow instruction on how to correct this issue.  I spent the better part of the day unisntalling and re-installing Outlook. I wish I would have found you first.
    Monday, July 23, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Thank you Thank you!  Fixed my issue
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:16 AM
  • Hi Rex

Thanks. So simple in the end. I was pulling my hair out with this one. Outlook 2013 did this exact same thing when I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.

Friday, January 10, 2014 8:05 AM
  • Gracias.

Martin Cortez

Monday, April 28, 2014 8:17 PM
  • Millions of Thanks... I was so frustrated when this happens because I needed to go-to System Restore to restore it an earlier point for fixing this. Such a quick tip. 

Knowledge Shared is NOT Knowledge lost but Knowledge GAINED.

Thanks a Lot, Rex. 

Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:14 AM
  • Thanks Rex, It helped a lot.
    Sunday, December 14, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Thank you thank you, exaclty what I was looking for.

Cheers!

Jason J.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:53 PM
  • Thanks!  Worked on Outlook 2013.  I did find something else that may help some people.  I have Outlook automatically open in two windows, one with Inbox open in Folder view and one with Calendar.  When I exit Outlook I use the "Exit" function so it reopens both windows.  After doing Rex's suggestion to get it to open Maximized, the second window still stays minimized.  Right-clicking on Calendar in the first window and choosing "Open in new window" didn't fix the issue.  The answer was to select Inbox in folder view, then right-click on Inbox and say "Open in new window" so now I have two windows open with the Inbox up.  Changed the second one back to Calendar, and now there are two windows again. 

Hopefully that helps someone.

Sunday, March 13, 2016 6:30 PM
  • Yes, it is worked me as well. Thank you bro...
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:38 AM
  • Thanks for your tip. I just used today and it was very useful.
    Monday, July 10, 2017 8:44 PM
  • Very easy.

Thanks a lot.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:41 PM