Is it possible to sequence Outlook 2010 with a locally installed Office 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We're in the process of merging with another company, we don't use Exchange/Outlook, the other company does.  We're getting ready to send equipment to them with our corporate image on it, which contains Office 2010 w/ Outlook hidden and not installed.  We just found out that users in the other company would like to have Outlook installed so they can view/search their old .PST files, since it's not possible to add Outlook from the existing Office 2010 installed (because it's hidden), I was asked if we could App-V it along with the locally installed version of Office.

I've, as a POC, virtualized Office 2010 using Microsofts recipe, but I don't want to virtualize the entire suite just for Outlook and would like to know if I could just virtual Outlook only.  Since we don't use Outlook, I also have no real way of testing this scenario.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:10 PM

Answers

• Virtual Outlook 2010 and a locally installed Outlook 2010 can co-exist on the same machine, i've done it. (Note: In both cases the full Office suite was used)

You can sequence the basic Office applications and the package will only be 600-700MB, not 2.2GB. Just make sure to exclude the folder MSOCache after sequencing.

As for sequencing Office apps separately, i think its possible but not worth it. Interoperability would be a big problem if they were separate virtual apps.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:27 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:12 AM

All replies

• I have not yet done Office, but I believe you could just virtualize it all... Word would be one feature block, excel, Outlook, etc. would all be seperate feature blocks. When you publish it, I think you can just disable the feature blocks except for Outlook.

Another thought is, I believe you can JUST sequence Outlook. Go through the steps required to install, but only install Outlook. I may be wrong on this all though. It's been a while and like I said, I have not done Office yet.

Really I am writing because I want to know what you use if not Exchange/Outlook :)

~Lane

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:58 PM
  • We use Domino/Lotus Notes.

I really don't want to sequence the entire office suite, which last time I had done it was 2.2GB, for a 320MB application. 

I had read a post somewhere on some other site, stating that you couldn't not sequence the separate pieces of Office 2010, but I don't know how accurate that was. 

I think my biggest question would be since we already have Office 2010 installed locally via OCT, would we be able to App-V just the Outlook piece and deploy through SCCM. 

There's not one page that I could find that says a definte yes or no.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:39 PM
  • Virtual Outlook 2010 and a locally installed Outlook 2010 can co-exist on the same machine, i've done it. (Note: In both cases the full Office suite was used)

You can sequence the basic Office applications and the package will only be 600-700MB, not 2.2GB. Just make sure to exclude the folder MSOCache after sequencing.

As for sequencing Office apps separately, i think its possible but not worth it. Interoperability would be a big problem if they were separate virtual apps.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:27 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:12 AM