4.6sp2 : Can't launch specific apps on one machine RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon:

I have 100 terminal servers running App-V 4.62hf2.  Everything is running great for 99 machines.  Out of the blue, one machine started being a pain and refused to run some applications.

To troubleshoot, I began looking at logs and found the following error: xxxxxx44-00001007.  Great -- open up the OSD and look at the OS tags.  Everything is defined correctly:

<OS VALUE="Win2008R2TS64"/>

To test, I remove this tag and the application works fine.  It appears that the issue is that my server is possibly no longer presenting itself as a Win2008R2TS64 machine.  Does anyone know how this value is read?

I checked Win32_OperatingSystem, and it appeared to be reporting the correct value.  However, I don't know where excatly App-V looks for the OS value.  

Many other applications are having this exact same error.  However, they do not have the OS tags in the OSD.  The odd part is that some applications in the project work fine, some don't.  As an example, I have one project with 10 apps that works great on the other 99 of my servers.  On this server, only 6 of the applications are able to be launched.

Anyone ever seen this before?

Thanks,

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:38 PM

All replies

• I did.

I'd already done everything mentioned in both of those articles.  I deleted all the apps from the console, from the registry, and then used the following command:

Sftmime.exe remove obj:app /global /complete

I then set the AppFS\State value to 0 (registry) and restarted the machine.  When it restarted, I still experienced the same problem.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:56 PM
  • I figured out the problem, but I don't know why.  It appears that this server wants the value of <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED> to be a specific case.  It has to be True or False.  When sequenced, the sequencer set the value to FALSE.  All upper case was causing it to fail.

I know that this sounds... impossible.  But I've verified on over a dozen applications.  As soon as I used the mixed case, the application is created.  I've verified that the OSD is now getting cached, and it runs properly.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:16 PM
  • Upon further investigation -- all I have to do is open the OSD in notepad and save it and everything works.  So it isn't as crazy as I thought, but I still don't understand what is going on.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:24 PM
  • This sounds really weird.

Does your one 'special' server have some other XML parser and/or OS Language Packs active?

What comes into my mind is that the Sequencer 'nicely' saves the OSD, but the client struggles with the formatting (ANSI/UTF/UNICODE, code page equivalent or whatever) when it tires to read the file. If you copy+rename a failing .OSD to .XML, does it then open in IE on the 'special' server (not that this allows any profound satement, though)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:38 AM