none
Is there a way to distribute task hours over the course of a task duration for a given resource? RRS feed

• Question

• Asking this for someone else as I do not know the answer myself:

Is there a way to distribute task hours over the course of a task duration for a given resource? For example, if I need 80 hours of programming to be completed over four weeks (which should be 50% of a resource's time, or about 4 hours/day), is there a way to display 4 hours a day over 20 days versus the default display, which is 8 hours of 10 days, with the additional ten days showing aero hours?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:29 PM

All replies

• I assume you have a fixed work task -> 80hrs Dur -> 4 Weeks and you want a resource say R1 to work 4hrs/day for 20 days; if this is the case assign R1[50%] on the task. If you meant something else please clarify. R1[50%] would make the resource assigned on the task to 50% of his capability, based on the Calendar hrs/day for the project.

Sapna Shukla

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:41 PM
  • You can do this manual using the Resource Usage and entering the hours worked.  Or you could write a macro to do this for you using percentanges.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCC 2011, MCC2012
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, October 12, 2012 4:24 AM
  • As Sapna says, if you specify the task as fixed work (task information -> advanced tab -> task type) with 80 hours of work, then use the Assign resources function to specify units of 50%, the duration will come out as 20 days. Alternatively, with a fixed duration task set to 20 days and assigned units of 50% the work will come out to be 80 hours.

If you have any actual hours in there, the question is different. Then you may need to use the resource usage view and make sure the remaining work is distributed as you want.

Friday, October 12, 2012 1:09 PM