300Gb missing on my HDD. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 7 Home edition 64bit
    At first when i found the discrepancy, the difference was 300Gb.

The affected drive is not system drive, it is a partition with letter D: and capacity of 781Gb. Selecting all files on drive D and PROPERTIES show result 418Gb, but my drive PROPERTIES reported free space 65Gb only

I deleted all restore points of system restore, reduced allocated space for system restore to 35Gb, started disk cleanup, emptyed Recycle Bin, and all other steps suggested in the "top related threads" of the site, but these steps recovered only half of my missing hdd space.

I've used the system tools to check for lost file fragments, defragmened the drive etc.

Is there an option to reclaim my space without formatting the hdd?

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please try one of the tools in the article below to see if you can find the file/files that are using up your hard drive space.

http://www.howtogeek.com/113012/10-best-free-tools-to-analyze-hard-drive-space-on-your-windows-pc/

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Monday, July 22, 2013 1:31 PM
  • I tryed Disktective from the article you recomended. The program reported some empty folders. Without big hope I deleted all empty folders and succeeded to free about 110Gb - Thank you!

I still have about 57GB missing

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:07 PM
  • sounds like a bunch of hidden files if they appeared empty.  You can view Hidden Folders/Files by going to Control Panel -- Folder Options -- View Tab and then select the radio button "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Monday, July 22, 2013 4:26 PM