SharePoint 2010 Collect Signatures workflow - no digital signatures? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I configured a "Collect Signatures" workflow for the content type "Document", then uploaded a MS Word 2010 (.docx) document as content type "Document".  This Word document as 2 empty Signature Line in it.

I then start the workflow, basically 2-stage with 2 person from my Active Directory.  However, what I found is that when I go to my workflow task and click on the "This document requires your signature" link, it pops up a "Workflow Task" box in the browser.  There is a "Sign" button which I can click to sign but it does not sign on the signature lines inside my Word document.

What am I doing wrong here?  Or does SharePoint 2010 Collect Signatures workflow no longer work with digital sigantures?  Thanks.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 1:38 AM

Answers

• Hello ,

We have chceked by setting up a repro at our end and its not possible to complete the workflow without opening the document . Also below are some additional findings that I have and would like to share :-

1)      In Office 2007 (Word and Excel) you can click on the office button from the respective application while you have the concerned document open in it. This triggers the collect digital signature workflow and the users signs it immediately as he can see the popup on the screen. Still he has to go to the task list to complete the task which I would say is a manual process following the workflow task is 100% completed.

2)      In SPS2010 with Office 2010 we do not have an option to trigger the workflows from within the Office document. Instead you directly go to task list to open the task and click on sign button to complete the task. Here you still need to open the document again and digitally sign it. The difference is workflow here is not triggered in Office document. Even here it is a kind of manual process except that you don’t see a popup to sign document immediately from Office document due to the fact that workflow is triggered from SharePoint task list.

Thanks,

Manas

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread."
    Monday, January 3, 2011 2:25 PM

All replies

• You say "no longer" works.  Did this work for you in 2007?
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:29 AM
  • Yes it is supposed to work with digital signatures as it did in MOSS (see the following tutorial on MOSS  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/how-to-collect-signatures-RZ010262907.aspx?section=2 ).

Now, indeed it looks like when you Click the Sign button (from the task) it doesn't add any signature to the signature line in the document; this is probably a bug, I guess; but when the user clicks on the document itself and adds his signature it should work.

Let me know if that works.

Serge Luca; MVP blog: http://sergeluca.spaces.live.com Devoteam Belgium. http://twitter.com/sergeluca
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:06 AM
  • Hello,

Clayton: Yes, it works when I was using Office 2007 and SharePoint Server 2007.

Serge:  It works when I open the document and sign the signature line field.  This bug is a big headache for me as the workflow task opens the SharePoint pop up dialog box instead of the document in Word or Excel.  Is there a way to force the "This document requires your signature" link to open the document instead of the pop up? 

Thanks.

Monday, November 22, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Hello ,

We have chceked by setting up a repro at our end and its not possible to complete the workflow without opening the document . Also below are some additional findings that I have and would like to share :-

1)      In Office 2007 (Word and Excel) you can click on the office button from the respective application while you have the concerned document open in it. This triggers the collect digital signature workflow and the users signs it immediately as he can see the popup on the screen. Still he has to go to the task list to complete the task which I would say is a manual process following the workflow task is 100% completed.

2)      In SPS2010 with Office 2010 we do not have an option to trigger the workflows from within the Office document. Instead you directly go to task list to open the task and click on sign button to complete the task. Here you still need to open the document again and digitally sign it. The difference is workflow here is not triggered in Office document. Even here it is a kind of manual process except that you don’t see a popup to sign document immediately from Office document due to the fact that workflow is triggered from SharePoint task list.

Thanks,

Manas

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread."
    Monday, January 3, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Collect Signature workflow is for Office client. So the real signing happens only when you open your document in WORD or EXCEL.

However, for user convenience we allow user to complete their signing task on the web. It does not insert digital signature or signature image into the document but it completes task. This is for mobile or web-only scenario.

One good thing of 2010 workflow compared to 2007 workflow, you can start Collect Signature workflow from the web.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Hello,

I know this thread is quite old, but today I encounter the exact same issue with 2010 Workflow and Office 2010.

I end up today with user completing the signature workflow process while they didn't actually apply their digital signature on the document.

I would like to know if there is any way of forcing the user to apply a digital signature into the Word document before completing the task ?

Thanks,

Marc

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 3:38 PM
  • Any help on this subjet, I am still facing the same issue today...
    Monday, January 5, 2015 4:30 PM