none
preparing a windows 10 image to capture with mdt sysprep & capture RRS feed

• Question

• I am preparing a windows 10 image in a virtual machine in audit mode. So install windows 10 and when the settings displayed then ctrl-shift-f3. Install and configure lots of thins then make a snapshot. Everytime i want to edit the settings or install software i start the snapshot and add the things.

Thing is when the windows 10 installation must be restarted then problems occurs. I cannot sysprep & capture anymore. It looks like when restarting that installation it does not automatically comes into audit mode but it seems that it is because the settings do not appear when restarting.

The windows 10 installation is build 10.240 so i want to upgrade to the creator update. When i do that the system must be restarted and then i cannot sysprep & capture it anymore. Any solutions for this?

Other things which i cam along:

administrator account disabled after deploy
    microsoft edge cannot start after deploy contact your system administrator it says
    Although the mak produkt key is in the task sequence, after deploy i must give in the productkey and activate

With windows 7 this was all ok but with windows 10 not anymore. I am using mdt 2013 update 2 the newest version and also ADK newest version. Maybe it is due to the fact that i am using windows 10 build 10240?

Are there many changes to windows 10 deployment in combination with mdt?

freddie

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:32 PM

All replies

• You do not need to use Audit mode at all when building an image using MDT.

Here's a great guide - https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/613/Building-a-Windows-10-v1703-reference-image-using-MDT

Just like the guide, I like having a separate deployment share that is exclusively for building images. Using MDT you can build and capture your reference image using a single task sequence. Be sure to add a suspend task sequence task. Then you can shutdown the VM and create a checkpoint. Later on load up the checkpoint, run windows update, make a new checkpoint, resume the task sequence and you end up with an up to date image without having to rebuild.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:22 PM typo
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:22 PM
  • Hi,

When i follow the guide it is a whole new approach. I do the imaging with mdt and wds for years well now and would like to continue the same way. The audit modus is according to other side a good manner to capture and deploy. Is this not the case anymore?

Microsoft itself recommends audit mode so it is to much for me to go to a whole new method...

The guide is also only capturing not deploying...

freddie

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:00 AM
  • I can choose to run the update for windows 10 creators update 1703 after deploying but within MDT. Do you know how to integrate the creators update in MDT during or after deployment?

freddie

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:49 AM
  • If you want full guides to capturing, deploying with real world application and more I'd recommend buying one of his books or you can attend Microsoft Ignite where he'll be speaking.

Audit mode was a good practice if you manually created an image on hardware and manually used imagex to capture. While you don't have to follow this method, it's much easier and can be fully automated.

Here's Microsoft official guide, which is just like Johan's - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/deploy-windows-mdt/create-a-windows-10-reference-image

As for the creators update, I just used the 1703 media to make a new reference image but we get our media from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center. You can use MDT to upgrade computers after the fact. I created a new task sequence using the Standard Client Upgrade task sequence template. With it I've been able to upgrade anything from Windows 7 computers through Windows 10 on an older build.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Hi Dan,

I followed the manual to create a reference image. This can be done for me but one thing i am missing for our enviroment: installing applications which cannot be installed thru MDT when deploying the image. In MDT you can add for example acrobad reader and dot net but not the application specially made for our enviroment.

Do you have suggestions to do that with this method? It cannot be done when starting the VM with this winpe image which is made with MDT because then it makes automatically a sysprepped and captured wim file...

freddie

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:08 AM
  • I only add Office and .Net to my reference image. I deploy all other apps using MDT during deployment to hardware. I find it easier because then all I have to do is replace the installers with their updated versions and the latest versions will be deployed without having to modify the reference image.

Most apps just take a little research to find out what switches to use for silent installations or create some scripts to install the apps along with copying config files, registry entries, etc. There's a lot you can do when creating script wrappers.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Thanks Dan but i do not think this can be done with our organisation. Lot of programms are to old en to complicated to install automatically..

freddie

Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:58 AM