none
pinging 2008 r2 server returns mac address

Question

• Hi all

I have windows DC server 2008 r2 server which part of 3 DCs in other locations. When I ping the hostname from a workstation I get a reply with Mac address. Even when I ping it from another DC it replies with mac address. I get mac reply even when I ping the DC from itself. I get a normal reply when I ping the ip address only. Strangely, Ping -a ip will resolve the hostname. The problem is I cannot join the domain with this problem exists.

I added a DWORD in in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters but it did not help.

Any idea?

• Edited by Dooma99 Sunday, April 09, 2017 5:39 AM
    Sunday, April 09, 2017 1:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    In my experience, that seems not the mac address, it may be caused by that you are using IPv6, in this case, you could have a try to disable IPv6 or its components in Windows, please see details from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929852/how-to-disable-ipv6-or-its-components-in-windows
    And please check if you create DisabledComponents DWORD registry value and set its value to 20 (Hexadecimal) under . HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters, then reboot machine.
    Here is a similar thread, you could refer to: https://superuser.com/questions/436574/ipv4-vs-ipv6-priority-in-windows-7
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 10, 2017 9:21 AM
  • AS I mentioned in my original question, I already setup a DWORD in the registry.
    Monday, April 10, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Thank you all for your support. I resolved the issue when I removed then 8.8.8.8 DNS settings.
    Monday, April 10, 2017 5:46 PM
  • Hi

Great share and update, could you please help to mark them as answers, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:28 AM