Cannot update from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently purchased Dell laptop with Vista Home Premium edition pre-installed.  Last night I bought an uprade to Ultimate at the Office Depot in Salem, NH.  The DVD looks legit with all of the 3D markings and it does have a label stating that this is an upgrade to Visa Ultimate.  I ran the setup and it finished successfully, however the net result of the install was that I still had the same version of Vista on my laptop.  I tried both the "upgrade" and "clean install" options in the setup wizard with the same results.

The only thing I can think of is that they've mixed up the ISO images and burned the Home Premium edition on the Ultimate DVD.  Is there a way to recognize the version by looking at the files on the DVD?  Did anyone have a similar experience?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    ~g
    Friday, October 10, 2008 12:20 PM

Answers

• ~g

Are you using the Product Key that came with the upgrade disk when you install? The upgrade disk contains all versions of Vista, the product key is what determines which version of Vista will be installed.

You can perform the installation and bypass the option to enter the product key and the option to automatically activate. This will cause the installation to give you a choice of which version is installed. Select the Ultimate option and complete the upgrade.

Once Vista Ultimate is installed, you can then right click Computer and select Properties. This window will have the option to enter the upgrade product key and activate Windows.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 7:35 PM

All replies

• ~g

Are you using the Product Key that came with the upgrade disk when you install? The upgrade disk contains all versions of Vista, the product key is what determines which version of Vista will be installed.

You can perform the installation and bypass the option to enter the product key and the option to automatically activate. This will cause the installation to give you a choice of which version is installed. Select the Ultimate option and complete the upgrade.

Once Vista Ultimate is installed, you can then right click Computer and select Properties. This window will have the option to enter the upgrade product key and activate Windows.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 7:35 PM
  •  

i had same problem with hp system

i had upgrade CD was trying to upgrade but at the end did clean installation and their was no problem..

what i think  u can do clean installation and the step important in clean installation is that u should formate the old windows partation....i think during setup u are not performing this step....

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:44 AM