none
failure to sync replicas with snapshot free space error even though there is sufficient space? RRS feed

• Question

• Backing up Exchange 2007 SP1 with DPM 2010.

Exchange 2007 is set up on a Windows 2008 SP1 x64 server.  Databases are on R:, 200GB with 85 GB free.  Logs are on S:, 500GB with 328 GB free.  DPM agent is installed.

DPM server is Windows 2008 SP1 x64, local instance of SQL server 2008 SP2.  Separate server from Exchange.

The Exchange backup has started failing with these error messages:

DPM failed to synchronize changes for Storage group Storage Group 03 on exchangeserver.domain.internal because the snapshot volume did not have sufficient storage space to hold the churn on the protected computer (ID 30115 Details: VssError:Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data.
     (0x8004231F)).

I checked the Exchange server, and the R: drive is using the S: drive for shadow copy space.  I didn't explicitly choose this, but they appear to be OS defaults based on the free space available.  Currently, 99GB is consumed by snapshots on S:.  75 GB is used by Exchange files on S:.  There should be ample free space for snapshots to continue to operate, but even though there is 328 GB free, I get this error.  There are no limits configured for shadow storage:

C:\Users\user>vssadmin list shadowstorage

Shadow Copy Storage association
       For volume: (R:)\\?\Volume{e6c5aa63-4c4e-11dd-8f30-001e0bdace3a}\
       Shadow Copy Storage volume: (S:)\\?\Volume{e6c5aa82-4c4e-11dd-8f30-001e0bdace3a}\
       Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 94.49 GB
       Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 96.55 GB
       Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: UNBOUNDED

How can I correct this condition?

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In theory, there should not be any snapshots left over after DPM does a backup, so there should be no used shadow copy storage space.

From an administrative command prompt, please run diskshadow.exe - then in the console type:  list shadows all
    That will list all shadows in the system, find any that are for the R: volume.
    If you find any, you can delete them by specifying the volume: Delete shadows volume R:

See if that allows new shadows to be created by DPM.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Hi all,

I have the same issue at a client of us and I resold it :-)

You can try this command.

>vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=D: /on=D: /maxsize=UNBOUNDED

Regards

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 12:05 PM