none
Server Essentials - Office 365 integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm setting up a lab to do some study. I've recently configured a domain controller on a virtual server using Windows Server 2016 Datacenter. First thing I did after installing the OS was complete all available windows updates. Second thing I did was install ADDS and promote to a domain controller. My domain is testlab.systems. 3rd thing I did was install Server essentials Experience.

I then tried to use the server dashboard to integrate with office 365 which I have a trial account for. It asks me for my username and password and I enter the global admin account for my office 365 tenant. It then says configuring your server for integration with office 365 for some time before throwing me an error:

"There was an issue configuring the integration
    An unknown error occured
    Make sure that the computer is connected to the internet and then try again
    if you continue to experience this problem, restart the server and then try again."

I've restarted the server and tried again with the same error, i've even created a new VM and and started from scratch and got the same error.

Does anyone have any tips on where to go from here?

Sunday, March 4, 2018 6:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that it failed to integrated O365 with Windows Server 2016 Datacenter with Essentials Experience role installed.

Please make sure that O365 integration on WSE supports O365 P(Premium) and E(Essentials) Plan, also, please make sure that your WSE server has Internet connection. 

Please check below registry entry, manually delete entry BecEndpointAddress if it exists:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\Productivity\O365Integration\Settings

Open Control Panel – Programs – Programs and Features, manually uninstall below programs if they exist:
    Forefront Identity Manager Password Change Notification Service
    Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant

Then, re-start system and try to re-product the O365 integration again to check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 5, 2018 7:09 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:09 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, March 9, 2018 4:31 AM
  • I'm not the OP, but I'll give you an update.  Your suggestions do NOT resolve the issue.  This is RIDICULOUS to say the least.  I setup a brand new virtual domain controller, and a brand new Office 365 tenant, but when I try to configure the WSE experience to connect to Office 365 I get a really vague and unhelpful error.  How in the world do I trust software that doesn't work on a BRAND NEW server and O365 tenant?  Step it up Microsoft!  I'm beginning to regret the migration to O365.  What's the point when the only viable solution to manage mailboxes is another Exchange server?  What a joke...
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:47 PM

• Please check below registry entry, manually delete entry BecEndpointAddress if it exists:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\Productivity\O365Integration\Settings

Open Control Panel – Programs – Programs and Features, manually uninstall below programs if they exist:
    Forefront Identity Manager Password Change Notification Service
    Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant

Hi Eve,

A question about this procedure:
    Will deleting the BecEndpointAddress & uninstalling Forefront Identity Manager Password Change Notification Service and Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant completely remove/disable Office 365 intergation on Essentials 2016?

Nothing else on the server will be affected?

And in case of reinstalling O365 integration after the above procedure, is it just a matter of of starting the integration again from the dashboard? The two uninstalled applications will be reinstalled in this case?

Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:18 PM
  • I'm not the OP either, but as Musicalhuman said... this is a crock of ish.  The suggested actions don't do a single thing to resolve the problem, and while I'm not on a brand new load of Server 16 Essentials, I am not on a virtualized machine, yet the problems described by the OP are the same that I have.  This definitely should have been addressed and solved by now, either by a patch that anticipates this problem, or by an intelligently researched and accurate resolution provided by an actual good tech, not this cookie cutter answer by this moderator.  Do actual technicians monitor these forums?  I mean L2 or better techs, not these run of the mill, no experience moderators that only have non-working cookie cutter responses.  Hopefully nobody gives any of these bs responses by these so called moderators any "mark as answer" acknowledgement as nothing on here can be considered an answer.  Guess we can all go to non-Microsoft websites for better troubleshooting if we want our problems actually fixed.  Pathetic....
    Sunday, November 11, 2018 3:33 AM
  • Did anyone ever find an answer?????
    Saturday, December 22, 2018 2:27 AM
  • My Windows Server Essentials 2016 has the identical problem.  The solution described above does not work.  I have tried it several time.  The Integrate with Microsoft 365 Wizard will connect to an admin account but then fails error:  "There was an issue configuring the Integration.  Make sure the computer is connected to the Internet, if you continue to experience the problem, restart the server and then try again."

Integration to Office 365 and Azure Active Directory worked find for a couple years then disconnected about 3 months ago.  The suggested solution above does not work and Microsoft support has not been able to offer a solution or work around.

Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:31 PM
  • Same problem. Looking for a solution for a week now !

thx

Monday, June 10, 2019 9:01 AM
  • and also same here. Tried all tips and tricks I could find, but it always stays by 

"There was an issue configuring the integration
    An unknown error occurred
    Make sure that the computer is connected to the internet and then try again
    if you continue to experience this problem, restart the server and then try again."

MS, please finally get going.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 12:06 PM
  • Pls, do this:

1. Open Explorer on the server and type in the address bar %ProgramData% and hit enter,
    2. Rename the SharedServiceHost-EmailProviderServiceConfig.log to SharedServiceHost-EmailProviderServiceConfig.log.bak,
    3. Rerun the O365 integration wizard
    4. Go back to ProgramData and copy the SharedServiceHost-EmailProviderServiceConfig.log to your desktop
    5. Upload to Onedrive and share with us

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 12:26 PM
  • Hi Marietta,

I stopped looking for the solution a month ago.

so If you can also look at my config.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av1C-hgtPj9_ldQJCXxOf0qwpD-aIw?e=ewHnLy

thanks and regards

Koen

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 12:57 PM
  • Corner3, is your Essentials server activated?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 12:59 PM
  • In addition to this check licenses on O365 and read https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/635c5aaf-3478-477c-8cf8-bcb298811cff/failure-to-integrate-new-2016-server-with-office-365?forum=ws2016

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:06 PM
  • yes,

problem started after I configured 2 factor authentication on the admin account on O365.

i rolled back to simple authentication and since then I was unable to sync and/or reenable integration.

Koen

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:06 PM
  • Multi Factor Authentication is not compatible with the Essentials Dashboard. Can you add another Global Admin in O365 and do not assign any licenses. Try the integration again.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:09 PM
  • Same problem with new global admin :-(

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:30 PM
  • also tried everything from the other forum you pointed to.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:31 PM
  • Corner3, was this server migrated or was this O365 tenant active on another onpremise AD? Pls, delete the file you uploaded to Onedrive?

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:44 PM
  • it just worked from the installation last year until i switched to 2 factor authentication. This is the only change there was.

Thx

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:51 PM
  • One other option is to un-assign and then reassign the license to EVERY SINGLE user in your Office 365 tenant.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:55 PM
  • ok I'll try this in the evening. Out of office hours and i'll post the result.

regards

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 2:12 PM
  • Hi Mariëtte, same issue after reassign of the license.

regards,

Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:55 AM