none
Confusion about user profiles, desktops and correct steady state setup RRS feed

• Question

• I've just been using steady state a short time, but am having trouble configuring it the same way on each PC I build.  I am setting up 20 computers for an internet cafe and built the first three with 2 desktops - one called "super user" for admin and one locked down by steady state with limited account type.  The first 3 went fairly well and I got them locked o.k. with all the icons I wanted on each desktop.

Machines 4, 5 and 6 are all acting differently then the first three, despite following the same installation rules I wrote during the first 3 builds.  I install steady state last, after everything is installed, defragged, etc.  But when I go to lock the "cafe user" profile in steady state the trouble begins.  After final lock down and re-boot I can't get into the user desktop - It says the profile can't be found or, worse yet, creates a new profile and gives me a desktop without the programs I want.

Should I install XP without any users and just configure all users inside steady state?  It seems XP and steady state see and use the same "user profiles / desktops", but something is getting messed up.  Should I leave steady state configured as "users are allowed to write to "C" until after another re-boot (so the profiles are all written)?

Thanks and Happy New Year ,
    Mike

Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:06 PM

Answers

• I've just been using steady state a short time, but am having trouble configuring it the same way on each PC I build.  I am setting up 20 computers for an internet cafe and built the first three with 2 desktops - one called "super user" for admin and one locked down by steady state with limited account type.  The first 3 went fairly well and I got them locked o.k. with all the icons I wanted on each desktop.

Machines 4, 5 and 6 are all acting differently then the first three, despite following the same installation rules I wrote during the first 3 builds.  I install steady state last, after everything is installed, defragged, etc.  But when I go to lock the "cafe user" profile in steady state the trouble begins.  After final lock down and re-boot I can't get into the user desktop - It says the profile can't be found or, worse yet, creates a new profile and gives me a desktop without the programs I want.

Should I install XP without any users and just configure all users inside steady state?  It seems XP and steady state see and use the same "user profiles / desktops", but something is getting messed up.  Should I leave steady state configured as "users are allowed to write to "C" until after another re-boot (so the profiles are all written)?

Mike

Not sure why 4,5 and 6 are behaving badly, but to be honest I've approached a bunch of machines the same way and usually any inconsistencies are the result of myself forgetting something. As a result, I resorted to taking one machine and after setting it up, create a backup image of it and then restoring the image to the rest. First turn off any SS restrictions and turn OFF Windows Disk Protection, if you are using it. (or set the clone flag if using Deep Freeze) I'm assuming all of your 20 machines are using the exact same hardware configuration across the board? That should solve any issues.

With XP, and if the machines are Dell Optiplexes, in my case I usually do a clean install of the OS (deleting the Dell diagnostic partition, it can cause issues), patch and update til done, and I only use the built in Administrator account, and ONE User accout (created during XP setup). That should be the only account Steady State sees when you install it. Lock down that account the way you want. Log in and out with restrictions enabled and disabled, to see if they are operating correctly. Take note of any additional Group Polices not covered by Steady State and write them down. Then create an image and restore it to all your other machines. You may find that trying to figure out exactly what is causing the bad behavior like looking for a needle in a haystack. Maybe try putting a good machine next to a bad machine and looking at each setting you changed, updates you have etc... to see if there is a mismatch? Good luck!

Philip

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Thanks for your help, Philip, I will try your approach.  Yes, they are all the same hardware so it really shouldn't be this hard to get multiple systems set the same.  I agree, I probably over-looked a small step or got the order wrong.  I've run a DBAN wipe of #6 and am trying again.

Happy Ney Year,
    Mike
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:42 PM

All replies

Mike

Not sure why 4,5 and 6 are behaving badly, but to be honest I've approached a bunch of machines the same way and usually any inconsistencies are the result of myself forgetting something. As a result, I resorted to taking one machine and after setting it up, create a backup image of it and then restoring the image to the rest. First turn off any SS restrictions and turn OFF Windows Disk Protection, if you are using it. (or set the clone flag if using Deep Freeze) I'm assuming all of your 20 machines are using the exact same hardware configuration across the board? That should solve any issues.

With XP, and if the machines are Dell Optiplexes, in my case I usually do a clean install of the OS (deleting the Dell diagnostic partition, it can cause issues), patch and update til done, and I only use the built in Administrator account, and ONE User accout (created during XP setup). That should be the only account Steady State sees when you install it. Lock down that account the way you want. Log in and out with restrictions enabled and disabled, to see if they are operating correctly. Take note of any additional Group Polices not covered by Steady State and write them down. Then create an image and restore it to all your other machines. You may find that trying to figure out exactly what is causing the bad behavior like looking for a needle in a haystack. Maybe try putting a good machine next to a bad machine and looking at each setting you changed, updates you have etc... to see if there is a mismatch? Good luck!

Philip

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Thanks for your help, Philip, I will try your approach.  Yes, they are all the same hardware so it really shouldn't be this hard to get multiple systems set the same.  I agree, I probably over-looked a small step or got the order wrong.  I've run a DBAN wipe of #6 and am trying again.

Happy Ney Year,
    Mike
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:42 PM