Change POSReady2009 and WEPOS licence key RRS feed

• Question

• Hello group,

I would like to change the license key on 2 machines that were re-deployed with the incorrect Porduct key. The machines have the correct COA on the Computer case.
    I have read how the Producto Key Update tool works on XP, but it uses the activation feature that we don't need in our environment.

Do we have any information on how to do this on WEPOS and PosReady or leaving the correct COA sticker on the PC will be enough?

Thanks beforehand,
    solo_software
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 4:52 AM

Answers

• Solo...

There is no supported method of changing the product key on either WEPOS or POSReady.  As long as the license type matches the COA you should be fine. The only thing you need to verify is that the deployed image is not an EVAL version.  If it is an EVAL you will see a watermark in the lower right corner of the desktop wallpaper.   Another way to verify is to run WINVER.EXE or OSVER.VBS.  OSVER.VBS is a script that we included in the System32 folder of POSReady.  It demonstrates how to detect the various versions and will tell you the license type and if it is an EVAL how long is left in the evaluation. 

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft 
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:38 AM

All replies

• Solo...

There is no supported method of changing the product key on either WEPOS or POSReady.  As long as the license type matches the COA you should be fine. The only thing you need to verify is that the deployed image is not an EVAL version.  If it is an EVAL you will see a watermark in the lower right corner of the desktop wallpaper.   Another way to verify is to run WINVER.EXE or OSVER.VBS.  OSVER.VBS is a script that we included in the System32 folder of POSReady.  It demonstrates how to detect the various versions and will tell you the license type and if it is an EVAL how long is left in the evaluation. 

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft 
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:38 AM
  • Hi Terry,

I'm currently setting up an image/deployment system for POSReady. I have also encountered the problem of not being able to replace the product key after an image is restored. 

Do you suggest that we don't need to do so as long as a valid COA sticker is on the case? Can you point me to an official MS article that describes this practice as being legal?

Thanks,

Bert.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:22 PM