AppV 5.0 slow package load RRS feed

• Question

• I configured a test Hyper-V environment of App-V 5.0 simple architecture on my local computer
    DC , AppV Server+SQL & AppV Client
    all of them have 2 GB Ram and they are on the same private network
    I didn't do anything special and I have enough resources and enough ram

I published a test firefox package to the server that is a total of less than 50 MB
    When I stream it for the first time on the client it takes about a minute for the package to reach 100%
    I thought maybe the package was the problem but it was the same with the chrome package
    I tried both HTTP and SMB protocols and there's no different
    I skipped the feature block part while sequencing because I know from 4.6 that if the package is less than 100MB the streaming is fast enough either way.

I knew that in the beta versions the slow package loading was a known issue and I hope I did something wrong and that this is not the case in the RTM version.

any help will be appreciate

thanks

Tamir Levy

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:05 PM

Answers

• Tamirlevy,

Honestly I am supposing this is not a MDOP/APP-V problem and it is a performance of your Hyper-V infrastructure. O

One little thing you can try to set up is disable the option Enable Virtual Lan Identification, forcing the VM's to communicate only between them. A long time ago I had to do this to improve the network performance, because some my NIC is not working fine and some packages are missing and this cause problems in my VM's. 

If this not works, you may need to use those links below to check and improve your hyper-v performance:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768529(v=bts.10).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768535(v=bts.10).aspx

I hope this can help you,

Jaime Nagase - Jimo -------------------------- Don't stop the music

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, March 18, 2013 8:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:06 PM

All replies

• I tried to change all my network firewalls autotuning mode from normal to disabled

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

no lick :/

another thing I can't understand is how to cancel package loading? everytime I try to do another test to debug the problem I delete the package from the client, and load it again but when I see it's still slow I don't want to wait all the time. just cancel it. in appv 4.6 I could right click on the little bar on the side and cancel the loading. don't see anything similar here , not with powershell as well

Tamir Levy

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:05 AM
  • Hello,

The focus seems to have been not to cause any excessive usage of client, network or server resources - where as the download time may be slower. If this is causing issues - perhaps a discussion with your Microsoft Technical Account Manager could bring this topic to be looked on upon and reviewed ?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Hi Znack

the problem is on a test environment on my local computer with 3 virtual michines. unfortunately no Microsoft Technical Account Manager is in the area for me...

but on the same test environment - AppV Server 4.5 with appv client 4.6 SP2 stream packages normally
    when I'm on the client and I copy the package from the server (Firefox 50MB package) it takes less than a second
    when I stream the same package to the client it takes more than a minute. so I still don't see any reason how come it's NOT an App-V issue. everything else that use the network works fine

haven't anyone else has slowness issues with App-V 5.0? is there a way to debug it?

Client - Windows 8
    Server - Windows Server 2012
    SQL - 2012 SP1

thanks

Tamir Levy

Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:12 PM
  • Hello,

I would say that its not an issue, but a deliberate design choice to make the client / server not excessively use resources either on the client, network or server.

You could raise a call if you do not have a Technical Account Manager and bring up the issues you are experiencing in your setup.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:43 PM
  • but on the same test environment - AppV Server 4.5 with appv client 4.6 SP2 stream packages normally
    when I'm on the client and I copy the package from the server (Firefox 50MB package) it takes less than a second
    when I stream the same package to the client it takes more than a minute. so I still don't see any reason how come it's NOT an App-V issue. everything else that use the network works fine

You're comparing two very different streaming methods - presumably you're using RTSP for 4.6 and HTTP or SMB for 5.0.

Confirm your streaming methods and look at the components involved in the streaming between the server and client. The way to see what's going and potentially find where delays are occurring is to use Wireshark to capture packets between the client and server during streaming.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Thanks for the answer Aaron!

I'll try the Wireshark idea in order to see the differences, but I tried HTTP both on App-V 5.0 and App-V 4.6

In that case I think my question should be - is there a recommendation or a best practice for the best way to create a fast test environment for App-V 5.0 on a local Windows 8 Hyper-V machines?

I don't think resources is my problem

Tamir Levy

Saturday, February 2, 2013 11:00 PM
  • Tamirlevy, Which version of sequencer you are using?

Normally the package get a long time to be loaded when the you sequence an application not using the same version of the client and server.

I got one problem in one of my customers using 4.6 packages with a console 4.5.

regards,

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Hi Jaime.

thanks, but it's not the issue. I downloaded the MDOP 2012 Iso and Installed all the App-V 5.0 modules from there.

just to get it clear:
    I sequenced a package (Firefox for the example) which is 37MB in total. I opened it in the Feature Block page so make the package load even faster.

when I double click on it on the client side I see the "Loading" bar in the system tray runs slowly slowly till it reaches 100%

if I take the same package and import it to my production environment and then I load it to the client it opens immidiately! I don't even see the "loading" bar!

Tamir Levy

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:51 PM
  • Hello,

You could use Wireshark / Fiddler to identify what happens in the background, understanding that would perhaps gain a greater insight if the behavior comes from client side / server side and assist in any conversation with Microsoft.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

maybe a little late, but still:

We investigated the problem of slow streaming with appV 5.0, and what we find out is that the longer streaming time as compared to 4.6 comes from uncompressing the package . In AppV 5.0 packages are roughly twice as small as in 4.6, because they are compressed. However, uncompressing seems to be quite inefficient. If you use wireshark, you will see that "loading" the package continues long after the actual streaming is over. We had an extreme case where a 4GB package took 3/4 an hour to "load", using 90% cpu. However this package was converted from a package already compressed under 4.6, so this may be a special case. I suppose Microsoft did this to reduce the network load, however if you have a fast network, it results in a slower "loading" as under 4.6...

Philippe

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Tamirlevy,

Honestly I am supposing this is not a MDOP/APP-V problem and it is a performance of your Hyper-V infrastructure. O

One little thing you can try to set up is disable the option Enable Virtual Lan Identification, forcing the VM's to communicate only between them. A long time ago I had to do this to improve the network performance, because some my NIC is not working fine and some packages are missing and this cause problems in my VM's. 

If this not works, you may need to use those links below to check and improve your hyper-v performance:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768529(v=bts.10).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768535(v=bts.10).aspx

I hope this can help you,

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, March 18, 2013 8:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:06 PM
  • I´m facing slow startup of App-V 5.0 packages which are local distrubutions via ConfMgr 2012, no streaming applied. Is there anything I can test? These are quite small 10-30mb sized and simple packages, so I might done something wrong. Sequencer machine was bare Win7 patched up, and reverted into clean state before next package. During sequencing, most settings were default. Run once was executed.
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:48 PM
  • Hello,

I suggest you create your own thread, as the scope is different. The original poster describes a perceived poor performance of the load operation, where as you describe a general slow startup scenario of any application involving retrieving applications from the local disk of the client - which is a completely different scenario.

Perhaps you could be a bit more detailed;

How much slow is the startup compared to what you experience with the same applications installed natively?

What is installed on your computer?

How are you handling user environment?

The above description is far to vague to offer anything remotely useful inorder to assist you

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Hi Znack, you are totally right, I should open my own thread. I just quickly found this thread by relevant keywords.

Just to answer your questions;

- native installation opens always within 1-2 seconds, and App-V is randomly opened fine, and another times it could take around 1 minute or less.
    - my desktop contains some software, like office and small utilities, but nothing big. Workstations are quite powerfull, and not filled with other crap
    - users have local profiles, there is no roaming profiles or folder redirections applied
    - I don´t see any errors in App-V event view node while loading application.

If you have some quick tips, go ahead, otherwise I will open my own thread later. Thanks.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:44 AM
  • We are in the process of converting over to 64bit Windows 7 and with it, AppV 5 SP2 with hotfixes KB2934349, KB2956985, and KB2963211.  The following commands are used to load packages from a DFS share.  Doing so using AppV 4.6 SP3 is very quick and fully utilizes the CPU/bandwidth available.  Doing so in 5.0 results in maximum cpu of 6% and bandwidth of 250KB/sec.  This holds true even if it is trying to load 10 packages at the same time. 

This command was used to load all converted packages on a physical test machine running Windows 7 64bit.  The packages were converted using the convertfrom-appvlegacypackage cmdlet.  

Get-childitem –path ‘\\domain.com\appv$\appv5\Win7x64\testing’ –include ‘*.appv’ –recurse | add-AppVClientPackage | Publish-AppVClientPackage -global

This command was used to check their load statuses.   

Get-AppVClientPackage | Where-Object {$_.PercentLoaded –lt 100} | sort-object PercentLoaded | format-table  –property Name,PercentLoaded

Even packages created natively in 5.0 format have this slow load performance issue. The original poster's consern still exists and is independent of virtual machine hardware issues.   Other articles have been written about poor performance with multi core processor machines and I wonder if that is related.  Sure, this might be a design decision on Microsoft's part, but there should be a way to override it.  I can't wait 2 hours for 500MB packages to load.  

• Edited by Mike Plichta Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:53 PM grammar
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:36 PM