none
Leveling Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have an issue when trying to level resources, the simplified version scenario is the following 

a resource is available for 2.8 hours on day one and 6 hours on day two,  so I assign the resource to task 1 on day one and as expected an overallocation is displayed, when I hit the leveling option I expect the following result 

2.8 hours of the work will be assigned on day one and the remaining are moved to day 2 and overallocation is resolved however the result I get is 4.5 hours of the work is assigned to day one and 1.5 hours to day two and overallocation remains in place, I have changed options in the leveling options with no luck. any suggestions 

regards

Malek 

Malek AlShayeb

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:39 PM

All replies

• Malek,

How exactly did you set up the resource's availability for those two days? If set up properly, there should be no overallocation as the resource's working calendar will reflect a 2.8 hour shift on the first day and a 6 hour shift on the second day. Hence, no leveling is required.

John

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:19 PM
  • Hi John 

The enterprise calendar is set for 7.5 hours a day work, and this specific resource max unit is set to 80%

regards 

Malek 

Malek AlShayeb

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 6:00 PM
  • Malek,

Assuming the 7.5 hours/day calendar is also the resource's base calendar then at 80% that means the resource can work up to 6 hours per day. So how did you set up the 2.8 hours availability for day 1?

John

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:17 PM
  • Malek,

you "changed options"? From what to what, and what happened when you did it? Do you have a screenshot of the options you used?

Thursday, July 6, 2017 12:35 AM
  • Hi John 

he is booked on another project for the rest of the 6 hours (this is a Project Server) 

regards 

Malek AlShayeb

Friday, July 7, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Malek,

Okay, I can't explain exactly what happened when you tried to level but Project's leveling algorithm is not as sophisticated as many users would like it to be.

If the resource was assigned on another project for 3.2 hours, Project will by default spread those hours evenly over the time period, which for a 6 hour day will be approx 32 minutes for each of the hours in a 6 hour workday. If you then assign that resource to a task with the same time period in another project that resource will indeed be overallocated. However, if you attempt to level that resource, the leveling algorithm will NOT fill in the remaining 28 minutes of each hour for that day. Instead, the task will simply be moved to the next day. However, if you manually entered the 3.2 hours for the first assignment as 1,1,1,0.2 then the leveling algorithm WILL start the second assignment at hour 5 for a total work of 2 hours the first day. It will NOT pick up the 0.8 hours that are available in hour 4.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, July 7, 2017 5:43 PM
  • Thank you that does make sense in a way, but what doesn't is this below, <g class="gr_ gr_9 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="9" id="9">i</g> went down to the minute scale and found that the resource does have a 0.2 h availability per hour part, however when assigned 0.2 <g class="gr_ gr_8 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="8" id="8">hours</g> work it turn<red 

Malek AlShayeb

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:49 PM
  • Malek,

What I see in your screen shot is a remaining availability of 0h, so yes, assigning that resource 0.2h should cause an overallocation. Am I missing something?

John

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 5:27 PM
  • John, 

if the resource max availability is 0.2 and was assigned 0.2 that is full utilization but not over allocation, my question is why is it flagging it as an over allocation 

regards 

Malek 

Malek AlShayeb

Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Malek,

What is the basis for overallocation (i.e. minute by minute, hour by hour, etc.)? An inappropriate setting of the basis is often the reason for an overallocation that on the surface doesn't appear to be valid. Try setting the basis to month to month. Does the overallocation go away?

John

Thursday, July 20, 2017 12:59 PM