Protecting bookmarks or half the table in word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Actually I have a table with 7 columns .

Column 1     Col 2   Col 3 ................................ col6                               col 7

Row1                                                                          Drop down                   Textbox

Now if I protect the section containing table,then i would not be able to write anything in the col 1 and col2 while dropdowns are working fine.

If I unprotected the section then I am able to write in col1 and col2 but dropdowns are not working properly.

I there any way to protect half the table or bookmark(So i use some columns of  table as bookmarks).

Monday, December 12, 2011 4:47 AM

Answers

• You’d have to make use of two tables, one of which is in an unprotected section. In the unprotected section, anchor a text box and place the table inside the box. Then move the text box so that it appears to be on top of the protected section next to the other table.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Monday, December 12, 2011 10:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Monday, December 26, 2011 4:29 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 10:13 AM
  • Hello Stefan,

Thanks for your reply . I tried it but it didn't workwd for me. I think i missed some steps.

What i did is :

1)I took a table in the protected section and put drop downs into its cells.Drop downs worked fine.

2)Now i formed an unprotected section just below the protected section.

3)In the unprotected section, I placed a text box from the insert tab of the ribbon.

4)Now i anchored the text box by right clicking it and then from layout tab --advanced setting-- checked the "Lock anchor" check box.

5)Now i placed a table in that text box.Its working find i am able to edit its column.

6)Then I moved the text box from unprotected section to protected section .But now i am not able to edit its column.

please guide me why it didn't worked for me even I have tried it without anchoring the text box.

Thanks in advance

How did you move the text box with the table? Did you make sure that the object anchor was still in the unprotected section? To find out for certain, display nonprinting marks, for example by clicking the ¶ button on the Home tab.

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:15 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:15 AM

All replies

• You’d have to make use of two tables, one of which is in an unprotected section. In the unprotected section, anchor a text box and place the table inside the box. Then move the text box so that it appears to be on top of the protected section next to the other table.

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Monday, December 12, 2011 10:22 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 10:13 AM
  • Hello Stefan,

Thanks for your reply . I tried it but it didn't workwd for me. I think i missed some steps.

What i did is :

1)I took a table in the protected section and put drop downs into its cells.Drop downs worked fine.

3)In the unprotected section, I placed a text box from the insert tab of the ribbon.

4)Now i anchored the text box by right clicking it and then from layout tab --advanced setting-- checked the "Lock anchor" check box.

5)Now i placed a table in that text box.Its working find i am able to edit its column.

6)Then I moved the text box from unprotected section to protected section .But now i am not able to edit its column.

please guide me why it didn't worked for me even I have tried it without anchoring the text box.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:37 AM
  • Hello Stefan,

What i did is :

Thanks in advance

How did you move the text box with the table? Did you make sure that the object anchor was still in the unprotected section? To find out for certain, display nonprinting marks, for example by clicking the ¶ button on the Home tab.

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:15 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:15 AM