none
Same set of tasks that need to be completed by multiple resources RRS feed

• Question

• I'm very new to MS Project, so maybe this is very obvious, but what's the best way to set up a project where I have a number of people that each need to complete the same set of tasks? For example, I have 15 different team members and I need the same 12 tasks completed by each one of them. Is there an easy way to do this, or do I need to manually create an instance of each task for each person?
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:31 PM

Answers

• You can create the 12 tasks and assign 15 people to each of the tasks.  I would recommend using Fixed Unit, effort driven off task type for this type of task.  Using this task type will allow the availability of the resource based on their resource calendar and the quantitly of the units assigned to the task to schedule the tasks.  This all assumes that the 12 tasks are occurring in the same timeframe.  If the tasks are to be performed months or even weeks apart, I would suggest creating multiple sets of tasks but you still can assign multiple resources to each task.

If you have been assigning multiple resources and the tasks have been getting shorter, turning off the effort-driven setting for the tasks will solve that problem for you.

I would also consider tracking the work of the people as well.  You can collect from the resources how many hours and when they worked on the tasks.  After entering the tracking data, re-schedule uncompleted work and the tasks and assignments will be re-scheduled for you. 

One more suggestion - try to find a class on MS Project.  You will save a lot of time in the learning curve to learn how to use MS Project properly.  If a class is not possible, at least get a good book to help you along the way.

Best of luck to you.

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:06 AM

All replies

• You can create the 12 tasks and assign 15 people to each of the tasks.  I would recommend using Fixed Unit, effort driven off task type for this type of task.  Using this task type will allow the availability of the resource based on their resource calendar and the quantitly of the units assigned to the task to schedule the tasks.  This all assumes that the 12 tasks are occurring in the same timeframe.  If the tasks are to be performed months or even weeks apart, I would suggest creating multiple sets of tasks but you still can assign multiple resources to each task.

If you have been assigning multiple resources and the tasks have been getting shorter, turning off the effort-driven setting for the tasks will solve that problem for you.

I would also consider tracking the work of the people as well.  You can collect from the resources how many hours and when they worked on the tasks.  After entering the tracking data, re-schedule uncompleted work and the tasks and assignments will be re-scheduled for you. 

One more suggestion - try to find a class on MS Project.  You will save a lot of time in the learning curve to learn how to use MS Project properly.  If a class is not possible, at least get a good book to help you along the way.

Best of luck to you.

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Hi ,
    Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:)
    You might like to have a look at my free series for beginners on Microsoft Project in the TechTrax ezine, particularly #, at this site: http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc  or this: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMFrame.asp?CMD=ArticleSearch&AUTH=23 
    (Perhaps you'd care to rate the article before leaving the site, :)  Thanks.)
    FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address: <http://www.mvps.org/project/>
    Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)
    Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:12 PM