none
Windows 7 Enterprise - User logs in with temporary profile - 3 different machines/no roaming profile?

Question

• We have users on Windows 7 Enterprise machines.  No one has a roaming profile. Users cannot install programs.  The users move around so they don't use the same machine all the time and there may be 20 profiles on one machine.  They don't always logout but the machines are restarted once a week at least.   Occasionally we may delete profiles on the machines but this is a remote site so we seldom do.  Users primarily use remote apps. served up either by Citrix or web interface.  Little is done locally other than printing.  All machines are imaged with the same software. All users do the same thing.  One user in an office of six machines, can only login to three of the machines with a temporary profile.  She has no profile under Users.  There is no .bak registry entry.  I cannot locate anything in the registry that points to this user.  I checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|SOFTWARE|MICROSOFT|WINDOWSNT|CURRENT VERSION|PROFILELIST.  There were 20 profiles but none for this user.  No .bak profiles for her, nothing.  I found a post that suggested increasing registry size/reboot but still no clue.  This has been going on for months and she just let me know but I don't know if she called the help desk and they did something before.  Event log has errors saying: 

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -

2 user registry handles leaked from...winlogon.exe, svchost.exe

Any suggestiosn?

• Edited by cdubaz Saturday, March 9, 2013 3:14 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 2:52 AM

Answers

• Thanks.  She's working on the computer and does not logoff and back on quickly.  I just rechecked and there absolutely is not a .bak with her name.  On either computer.  I did find one for Temp and one for another user so now I have a second user getting the profile issue.  I renamed that one and when the other user logged in, he got his profile. 

Guess I will just re-image the computers although I'd like to figure it out but I don't have the spare time to waste and don't want my user to keep getting the temp profile.  My company won't pay for the support and frankly, in all the years I've been in IT, I've never had MS resolve one issue for me.  Not worth paying for.  Oh well, thanks for your suggestions.  If I have time to devote to this and figure anything else out, I will post the answer. 

• Marked as answer by cdubaz Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Hi,

Can you please provide the excatly error message when the user login temporary profile? Based on my experience, once user login with temporary, there always have .bak registry under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList".

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 11, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Hi.  When the user in question attempt to login to either of the two computers she will see:  You have been logged in with a temporary profile.  You cannot access your files and files created in this profile will be deleted when you log off.  To fix this, log off and try logging in later. Please see the event log for details or contact your system administrator.

In the Application Event Log, three events are listed every time: 

Application Log
    Event 1511 - Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile.
    Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

Application Log
    Event 1515 - Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backup
    profile the next time the user logs on.

Application Log
    Event 1530 - Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

DETAIL -
     3 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-57989841-1844237615-725345543-18630:
    Process 4992 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-57989841-1844237615-725345543-18630
    Process 968 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-57989841-1844237615-725345543-18630\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LinksBar
    Process 968 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-57989841-1844237615-725345543-18630\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LinksBar

There are several "Temp" profiles but not one with her name on it.  I have looked in the registry and under Users on both and have searched the registries on both for her name. 

The last thing I tried was to increase the registry size.  These are shared computers and may have 20 profiles under "profilelist".  On one computer, I cleared out all profiles that were not updated recently, still no luck.  She is logged on with a temporary profile each time and a new temp profile created each time.  It won't even use the previous temp profile so she can save her settings.

Monday, March 11, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

Please understand, a temp profile is indeed "Temp", usually it will be cleared everytime user logoff. I suggest you to try others user accounts to login the two problematic machines and see if they also login temp profile.

Any temp profiles will create a .bak regirstry key under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList". I suggest you to check part again after user login the temp profile.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:15 AM
  • No, as I said, it is only this user.  It is a machine shared by any workers that are there that day.  I myself logged in for the first time as non-admin and got a new profile.  Tested with another non-admin user.  All is good.  Just this one user.  I do understand that a temp profile is temporary.  That is why I'm trying to fix the issue.  This particular user is one that is onsite most of the time and thus would very much like to keep her setting/documents.  The other PCs in the office are ok.  The user can login and either create a new profile or access an existing one.  There are .bak keys but none that belong to this user.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Hi,

Since every users login the machine with a temp profile, it must will be create a .bak registry key for this user. I suggest when this user login the temp profile, do not logoff at once, open the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" to find this user's .bak registry key and delete it.

If the issue still persit, we may need enable profile tracing logging for this problematic user account. 

To such  issue, it is not an efficient way to work in this community since we may need more resources, for example enalbe profile tracing and analyze the tracing logs, which is not appropriate to handle in community. I’d like to suggest that you submit a service request to MS Professional tech support service so that a dedicated Support Professional can further assist with this request.

Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Thanks.  She's working on the computer and does not logoff and back on quickly.  I just rechecked and there absolutely is not a .bak with her name.  On either computer.  I did find one for Temp and one for another user so now I have a second user getting the profile issue.  I renamed that one and when the other user logged in, he got his profile. 

Guess I will just re-image the computers although I'd like to figure it out but I don't have the spare time to waste and don't want my user to keep getting the temp profile.  My company won't pay for the support and frankly, in all the years I've been in IT, I've never had MS resolve one issue for me.  Not worth paying for.  Oh well, thanks for your suggestions.  If I have time to devote to this and figure anything else out, I will post the answer. 

• Marked as answer by cdubaz Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:04 PM
  • Yeah I am having the same exact issue. i dont care how much you "think there is a .bak file there isnt... Were not blind its corrupt and what you are posting does not fix the issue. only when there is a .bak file. Thanks microsfot for being very biasis and not helping at all...
    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 9:34 PM
  • Check in the users AD object under the profile tab.  Make sure that the field "Profile Path:" is blank.

Sometimes I've seen accounts created and a "half asleep admin" has put logon.bat into that field, causing a temporary profile each time the user logs in to any computer.

• Proposed as answer by NCL Tech 3 Wednesday, March 16, 2016 4:04 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Man, You have made my day :) :)

I too was conflicted with a temporary profile for a domain user and no .BAK file was to be seen!

After your thick hint, I had a look at the Profile path - and sure enough it seems I am the one to blame since I have tried in the past to save some user corporate details in a safe and hidden place and foolish me saved this data right there in Profile path. How embarrassing :(

Anyhow after clearing the Profile path field everything is working great and no more Temporary Profiles there.

Thanx again AgK.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:54 PM
  • Spot on, was having this problem and could not for the life of me figure out why. Checked AD and the login script had been put into the profile path tab. removed this and tested and is now working perfectly!
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 4:05 PM