opening/converting jpg files RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows XP and Office 2007 professional plus.  I am unable to open files I've received from senders that are jpg.

I believe there is a service pack that can rectify the problem but I'm afraid of working with an unreliable resource.

Any suggestions for the most secure route? 

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, we recommend you check if the extension of attachment files is exactly .jpg. Because some virus files seems like filename.jpg.exe, if you double click on it, the virus program will be run. You can unhide the extensions in Windows XP, then Save As the attachment files on desktop to ensure the file type.

If the .jpg files still cannot be opened on desktop, we would suggest you set the default program to open this image file type.

To change which program starts when you double-click a file, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the .jpg file, then complete the following steps:
      • Click Properties > Change
      • Choose the program that you want. (e.g. The default program to open .jpg file is Windows Picture and Fax Viewer)
    2. Click to select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box if it is not selected.
    3. Click OK.

Note From now on, Windows XP will open all files that have this file name extension in the program that you selected. To change this, you must follow these steps again and associate a different program with this file name extension.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 6, 2012 2:40 AM