none
need help understanding the products RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I'm a new IT guy, at a startup company, and I really could use some advice. My superiors asked me to purchase a MS project license for them, and i cant figure out whats the difference between project pro online, and standard edition, and why is there a server for MS project?? 

Thanks alot :)

Sunday, July 2, 2017 9:55 AM

All replies

• MS Project server is on premise technology(where you can install server at your end, in case you have on premise infrastructure). Server version may be suitable for large organization where they already have hardware + IT Staff to deploy on premise. For your environment, Project online is more suitable.

You can find detail comparison of features available in Project Pro and standard and on premise server here. Talk to your superiors and gather some basic requirements then choose the right version for you.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn268595.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Monday, July 3, 2017 1:30 AM
  • Project Server and Project Onilne are basically the same, except project server requires you to install on premise, whereas project Online is managed by Microsoft.  All the projects and resources are saved in a database and thus you can manage multiple projects and resources over the whole organization.

Project standard is same project management scheduling tool, except it only manages one project and is saved in a file.  

Project Professional is the same as project standard, except it can open schedules from server or online.   Much richer client tool to use than working from browser.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Monday, July 3, 2017 1:43 AM
  • Jai and Michael explain this very ell.

It took me way too long to figure out the differences (so confusing), so I just wanted to add my thoughts on making the decision:

If you have a lot of projects, and want to show the status of all these projects in a Dashboard like Power BI OR you want to provide a seamless Project Site collaboration space for team members to update their items, then go for the Project Online with Project Pro.  Only the Project Managers need Project Pro.    (You can opt for the on premise version, Project Server,  but as Jai alluded to, that is another headache you don't want when starting out).

If you just have a project or two, and do not need a collaboration area or do not need to report on the entire portfolio (easily), then go for the standalone MS Project Standard.   (NOTE: You can still roll up many mpp files into one dashboard, it just takes more work than it is worth in my opinion).

You may also want to start out small, with Project Standard, and as you grow out of this look into Project Online with few Project Pro licenses.

Friday, July 7, 2017 10:18 PM