none
DPMDB Online protection - safe for disaster protection RRS feed

• Question

• We have a single server DPM 2012 R2 (with UR7) installation with a local DPMDB database.

We have configured a separate protection group just for DPMDB and set this with (only) online protection using Azure Backup.

Is this sensible for a disaster recovery scenario where all we have are Online backups in Azure?

I imagine that in such a scenario we would install the Azure Recovery Services Agent on a new server and use that along with the encryption keys (which are stored off site) to pull down DPMDB and then make a new DPM install and restore the downloaded DPMDB database into that. Would that work?

I am confused after having read this article (several times): https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj244601.aspx. Quote: "Back up to Azure ... requires an alternate Windows Server 2012 based system with the Azure agent to gain access to DPM backups stored in the Azure backup vault. This can’t be another DPM server"

None of the other options really seem viable for DR (we do not have tapes anymore).

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

I've written a blog post about how you restore the DPMDB from an Azure Backup Vault(when your DPM-server has failed) and how to restore the DPMBDB to a new DPM server: Restore DPM DB from Azure Backup Vault

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

• Marked as answer by ThomasIsr Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:04 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:57 PM
  • Hi Markus

Thank you very much. Your blog describes precisely the approach I was envisioning. I am very happy to hear that it works.

I wonder why this is discouraged in the Technet article I quoted. Seems completely straight forward. Or am I misreading that article?

Best regards,

Thomas

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

The TechNet article is a little misleading so I understand your initial question. 
    What Microsoft tries to tell us is that a DPM-server will seize some of the MARS-agent features and you will not be able to restore for example a DPMDB by the steps outlined in my blogpost from that DPM-server.

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 7:00 AM
  • Thanks again, Markus

Microsoft: Please revise the article. It is very misleading.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:34 PM