none
Security Essentials On SBS 2008 RRS feed

Answers

• Forgot, I do have one with Eset.  It is fine. 

You have to be careful with AV scans of a running SBS as there are a number of folders and files that should not be scanned.  If possible, and if you want the best possible scan, use a boot CD and scan the system off line.  If in doubt about what not to scan, look on the net for a list.

Most vendors will give you a free trial and many will help you exclude the areas that should not be scanned.  Some even come with templates.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi:

Microsoft Security Essentials is not approved for servers, nor for businesses of more than 10 stations.  There are a great many alternative AV products, including none.  If the mail is filtered off site before it comes to the server, and if all the stations are well protected, then no AV may be necessary on the SBS itself.

I prefer to maintain a file level AV product on the SBS.  Some alternatives that I have personal experience with are Trend Micro, either WFBS or WFBSA (includes incoming email scanner) AVG, and GFI Vipre.  Not recommending any, but I know these work.  Others have other preferences, and, as always, ymmv.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:40 AM
  • Thanks for the info. The problem I have is a couple of the clients were infected and the bug jumped to the shared drive on the server. Now I feel I have to scan the server to see what may be infected there. This is really making me nervous because I've seen reports of virus cleaners killing servers while cleaning viruses. MalwareBytes, Kaspersky and Eset all said they have products that will run on SBS 2008, does anyone have experience with those products? or any others?
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Forgot, I do have one with Eset.  It is fine. 

You have to be careful with AV scans of a running SBS as there are a number of folders and files that should not be scanned.  If possible, and if you want the best possible scan, use a boot CD and scan the system off line.  If in doubt about what not to scan, look on the net for a list.

Most vendors will give you a free trial and many will help you exclude the areas that should not be scanned.  Some even come with templates.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:53 PM
  • HitManPro also says they clean Windows servers. Why no Microsoft product?
    Monday, July 22, 2013 1:31 PM