SERVER FARM Configuration NOT Complete RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I have encountered a problem.

From my Central Admin it states that the SERVER FARM Configuration NOT Complete. So I am following the task list that was displayed in the admin task list.

However I have noticed that for some reason even though I am admin... I have limited rights or else something is not working correctly.

I am unable to start a task... i click on edit but nothing happens.. 

I tried to create a site collection but under Web Application am unable to change the selection (it is permanently set to No Selection)..

Am I doing something wrong? Please help me out as I am unable to proceed.. :(

Cheers! 

Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:56 PM

All replies

• Hiya,

Dont follow the advise stated in Farm Config not complete blindly. Learn and understand what its asking and actively make a decision if you want/need to suggested configuration. It might not be relevant for you. Also the click from admin task list might not work, then you need to find out how to configure it not using the direct link, but finding the option in the GUI or use Powershell.

Secondly you should proberly read an article or book about SharePoint.

Two accounts will be default allways have all the rights required in Central Administration, unless it has been manually changed after installation. Setup User and Farm Administrator account.

If you got your CA running, then you actually installed and configured SharePoint. Secondly you need to consider what SharePoint is to be used for. In all cases, you want to create a Web Application and a site collection before you can publish any web based content using SharePoint. Again you should consider reading articles or books on the subject. Understanding SharePoint is somewhat complicated, especially without reading on the matter first. Even "Pro" SharePoint consultants dont know how it works in its most basic forms. (You sometimes gets the idea neither does Microsoft) ;)

I dont know which version of SharePoint you started with, but I would recommend the Foundation version. Its a free version and you will not run into any trial limitations. It can be installed using the free SQL Express. When/if you feel comfortable enough, you can add the free Search Server on top.

NOTE: I was actually presuming this was SharePoint 2010.. Foundation is only available in SharePoint 2010. The rest of the principles still apply.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Hi Re the below... I am using MOSS 3.0. (2007 version).

I had previously used 2010 and managed to create a site and forms... and it actually worked. However I am unable to click on anything and I'm admin :S

I don't know how to fix this.. and actually starting to panic. 

I open SharePoint 3.0 Central administration... I log on using administrator, then i am unable to do anything :( I tried to create a new link (top right) but when i press OK nothing happens.

I then log on Application Management > Create or extend Web app > Web application at the top remains No Selection. If i try to create a new one... I press Ok at the end and nothing... page doesn't refresh and no new web app is created.

Am I doing something wrong?

Hiya,

Dont follow the advise stated in Farm Config not complete blindly. Learn and understand what its asking and actively make a decision if you want/need to suggested configuration. It might not be relevant for you. Also the click from admin task list might not work, then you need to find out how to configure it not using the direct link, but finding the option in the GUI or use Powershell.

Secondly you should proberly read an article or book about SharePoint.

Two accounts will be default allways have all the rights required in Central Administration, unless it has been manually changed after installation. Setup User and Farm Administrator account.

If you got your CA running, then you actually installed and configured SharePoint. Secondly you need to consider what SharePoint is to be used for. In all cases, you want to create a Web Application and a site collection before you can publish any web based content using SharePoint. Again you should consider reading articles or books on the subject. Understanding SharePoint is somewhat complicated, especially without reading on the matter first. Even "Pro" SharePoint consultants dont know how it works in its most basic forms. (You sometimes gets the idea neither does Microsoft) ;)

I dont know which version of SharePoint you started with, but I would recommend the Foundation version. Its a free version and you will not run into any trial limitations. It can be installed using the free SQL Express. When/if you feel comfortable enough, you can add the free Search Server on top.

NOTE: I was actually presuming this was SharePoint 2010.. Foundation is only available in SharePoint 2010. The rest of the principles still apply.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 11:13 AM
  • Hi,

To me the issues with not being able to click on links and so forth suggests that you are on Windows 2008 and aren't running as administrator.

So to resolve, close Internet Explorer, go to the start menu, right click on Central Admin in the start menu and choose Run As Administrator (instead of left clicking it as per normal).  Although I'm sure this shortcut runs as administrator - perhaps you're going straight to central admin site from a non-"run as administrator" IE session?

Michael.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:50 AM
  • If you are running as an administrator as suggested above and the problem persists,maybe a patch or cumulative update was installed but the config wizard didn't run all the way though or not at all?

I know that can produce the message as well.

Try from command line:

PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force

Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:41 PM