Clients recieve 80244018 Errors when updating after UPGRADING WSUS server from Windows 08r2 to Windows2012r2 RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading my WSUS server OS from 2008R2 to 2012R2, my clients are now giving an 80244018 Error when trying to update.

I had to delete the WSUS Administration site from IIS in order to get the role re-installed after the 2012 Upgrade was completed, but it installed successfully and the services are running fine. But maybe there are permissions that are incorrect?

Clients update settings are configured through the same group policy as before. WSUS Servername/IP address is the same post upgrade as it was before. If there are other details i left out or any log files i need to provide please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:31 PM

Answers

• All of my firewalls are turned off. They were off before the upgrade and after checking again, they remain off. I still get the message.

What may also be useful information, is this server was originally had 2 downstream servers at remote sites associated with it. If I try to browse to either of the downstream servers via Internet explorer using http://servername, i get an IIS screen. however, if i try to browse the server that is giving me all the issues, i get a 403 forbidden error. Makes me think the issue indeed lies in IIS somehow.

Actually, During the upgrade my default website in IIS got marked as "Require SSL". When I removed that it connected. Thanks for your suggestion though.
    Friday, June 13, 2014 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

0x80244018 -2145107944 WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_FORBIDDEN Same as HTTP status 403 - server understood the request, but declined to fulfill it.

Mostly, it is a proxy server or firewall issue. Please review firewall log, it may give you some clue. Or temporary disable it for test.

Hope this helps.

Friday, June 13, 2014 8:23 AM
  • All of my firewalls are turned off. They were off before the upgrade and after checking again, they remain off. I still get the message.

What may also be useful information, is this server was originally had 2 downstream servers at remote sites associated with it. If I try to browse to either of the downstream servers via Internet explorer using http://servername, i get an IIS screen. however, if i try to browse the server that is giving me all the issues, i get a 403 forbidden error. Makes me think the issue indeed lies in IIS somehow.

Actually, During the upgrade my default website in IIS got marked as "Require SSL". When I removed that it connected. Thanks for your suggestion though.
    Friday, June 13, 2014 3:20 PM
  • After upgrading my WSUS server OS from 2008R2 to 2012R2

Please describe exactly what you mean (did) with respect to the use of the word *UPGRADE*, since upgrading (using the word in the strict sense it's meant in the software industry) a WSUS server from Server 2008R2 to Server 2012R2 is actually an impossible activity.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, June 13, 2014 7:52 PM
  • Firstly, I was able to resolve the issue as described in my previous post.

But to answer your question, This particular machine is a VM member server that ran Server 2008r2 with the WSUS role installed. I then got a 2012r2 DVD image, browsed to the SETUP file, and chose what I believe is "Upgrade" to install 2012 on top of 2008. All of my files were still in tact. The server remained joined to the domain, kept its same name, static IP, etc. it did require me to reinstall the WSUS server role. at which point it failed during post-installation tasks. I had to delete the WSUS Administration site out of IIS in order for the post installation tasks to succeed, at which point my clients would not connect to WSUS giving the 80244018 error.

As i stated before, this was due to the "Require SSL" option being ticked on my default website. After doing some reading and comparing the IIS settings on this server to my downstream servers which were working, i unticked the box and voila.

Friday, June 13, 2014 7:57 PM
  • This particular machine is a VM member server that ran Server 2008r2 with the WSUS role installed. I then got a 2012r2 DVD image, browsed to the SETUP file, and chose what I believe is "Upgrade" to install 2012 on top of 2008.

That's what I thought, and as such, failing to read the necessary product documentation caused you to engage in a fatal and non-reversible action. From the WSUS v6 Migration Guide, Step 2.1:

WarningWarning

Upgrade from any version of Windows Server that supports WSUS 3.2 to Windows Server® 2012 R2 requires that you first uninstall WSUS 3.2. 

In Windows Server 2012, upgrading from any version of Windows Server with WSUS 3.2 installed is blocked during the installation process if WSUS 3.2 is detected, and you are prompted to first uninstall Windows Server Update Services prior to upgrading Windows Server 2012.

However, because of changes in Windows Server 2012 R2, when upgrading from any version of Windows Server and WSUS 3.2 to Windows Server 2012 R2, the installation is not blocked. Failure to uninstall WSUS 3.2 prior to performing a Windows Server 2012 R2 upgrade will cause the post installation tasks for WSUS in Windows Server 2012 R2 to fail. In this case, the only known corrective measure is to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows Server 2012 R2.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:08 PM
  • Again, this issue was resolved by simply unchecking the "Require SSL" option on my default website in IIS manager. I no longer have the issue. I did not have to re-format my hard drive. I did not have to re-install windows. My computers have registered with the WSUS server on the upgraded Windows 2012r2 machine and are getting updated without issue.

I did NOT remove the server role and uninstall WSUS on the 08r2 installation, and everything still worked fine. Once upgraded, 2012r2 allowed me to re-install the role, after deleting the WSUS Administration site out of IIS.

But I dont doubt that I should have uninstalled WSUS before the upgrade, although I am confident that is not what caused this particular problem. Hopefully the next person can use this thread as a lesson, one way or the other, if they are planning an upgrade, or run into trouble after one.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:23 PM