User not available in All People (User Infromation list) when added through AD Group instead of directly adding in sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

In our WSS3.0 Site, we have created SharePoint Group named Visitors and assigned permission level Read. In this SharePoint Group, We added membership of Active Directory Group named ProductVisitors. 

My Requirement is: To update Email address in User Information list. (Site Settings > All People)

Problem: I can not see all the users who have accessed the website. My assumption was that when any user visits the site, his account (username at least) is added in User Information list, but this does not seem the case. 

Could you please confirm If User is not added directly to SharePoint and only AD Group is added (to which user belongs), Is the user account not created in User information list?

Thanks,

Ved

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 9:45 AM

All replies

• HI Ved,

When a user hits this site collection, they will automatically get a profile entry in this list.  Ok, great.  But you have profile properties in two places now, the site collection(s) and the User Profile Service Application; You have to supposed to keep them in sync.

you might notice that changes made to the AD Domain users are not effective for SharePoint users, such as a different or new email address. 

To synchronize with the UIL, there are two timer jobs:

1. User Profile Service Application - User Profile to SharePoint Full Synchronization
    2. User Profile Service Application - User Profile to SharePoint Quick Synchronization

other way is to do through Powershell script.

http://morg.nl/2011/10/updating-the-user-information-list-in-sharepoint-2010-from-ad/

Thanks/  Siddheshwar Kohale

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 10:50 AM
  • Hello Siddheshwar, 

I am using WSS3.0, not SP2010 and not even MOSS 2007. Are the jobs mentioned above applicable to WSS3.0 as well? I could not find these jobs. 

Thanks,

Ved

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 2:53 PM
  • Anyone .... any pointers?
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Hi Ved,

With WSS 3.0 you won't have the User Profile Service or the synchronization jobs available.

I am surprised that your users are not being added to the list. I suspect it is because they have read only access and are therefore not performing any actions on your site. 

I would suggest that you perform a quick test to verify this. First give some users Contribute access by adding them to another AD group and putting that in the SharePoint site's Members group. Then have them visit the site, and see if that adds them to the list. Then have them perform some action, such as adding an item to a test tasks list. Then see if that adds them to the user information list.

That will at least help you to identify where the issue might be.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:32 PM