none
Hyper-V CPU utilization jumps every 2 hours by System interrupts

Question

• Hello

I would like to ask anybody to help me with my issue.

I have four Hyper-V host (Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Server 7X16) with very strange CPU behavior. Every 2-hour CPU on every of them jump up from 3% to 50% by process which called “system interrupts”. It goes on about 2 minutes then CPU utilization became to normal. How can I find out the reason of this strange CPU behavior?

Technical details:

Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Server 7X16

Windows 2016

2x Xeon(R) Gold 5120 CPU @ 2.20GHz 

Window and every driver are up to date.

As I understood by searching internet “system interrupts” can be anything in my hosts (hardware driver, hardware errors, etc.). When I request support from ibm\lenovo they just forward me to Microsoft. But Windows don’t have any tool with can help me trace this issue.

Does anybody know how to investigate this CPU utilization in windows?

I will appreciate any help

Denis.

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 10:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Please try the following solutions mentioned in this article (https://appuals.com/fix-system-interrupts-high-cpu-usage/) which discussed the situation System Interrupts High CPU usage. 

1: Disabling USB Root Hubs

2: Disabling Audio Enhancements

3: Disabling the Wake on Magic Packet Settings

4: Installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology

5: Turning off Fast Startup

6: Troubleshooting Devices and Drivers

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Furthermore, we can use Process monitor tool from MS to tracing which processes caused high cpu or a system problem when this "system interrupts" occurred.

For details, please refer to the following docs.

Process Monitor v3.50

Hope above information can help. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 3:02 PM
  • Thank you for answer. Please, tell me which filter do you use in Process Monitor to track process "System Interrupts" ?
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

We can set this filter during the process monitor as below.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 9, 2018 10:20 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Sunday, November 11, 2018 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for helping me. Really, the most helpful was using WPR and WPA

https://serverfault.com/questions/104131/how-can-i-find-out-what-is-causing-interrupts-on-windows

After analyzing DPC\ISR duration, I find the problem with ndis.sys driver. If I understood correctly, ndis.sys is a network driver and I cannot just disable it.

Don’t know what to say My vendor (IBM) to make them help me with ndis.sys driver. I have six servers with problem like this.

Monday, November 12, 2018 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your detailed update. You're very kindly patience and technical. I think we're ganna a right direction. 

After my research, here's an article explained and discussed ndis.sys in detail, we can try the solutions mentioned in this link. Hope this helps.

How to fix ndis.sys Blue Screen Error on Windows?

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If you any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, November 12, 2018 10:14 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved? 

Best regards,

Michael

Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:27 PM