none
Are MS NVMe hotfixes a must for Windows 7 on Samsung or Intel NVMe Drive?

Question

• Microsoft has released NVMe Hotfixes 2990941 & 3087873 that add native NVMe drivers to Windows 7.

However if I am say installing Windows 7 SP1 on say Samsung NVme drive and Samsung has released suitable drivers in the form of INF, SYS and CAT files, do I really need to integrate these MS Hotfixes in Windows 7?

Can Windows 7 SP1 supplied with Samsung NVMe drivers (Either slip streamed or during install) be able to detect Samsung NVMe drive and install itself on to it?

As the title says are those MS Hotfixes a must (sort of pre-requsite) to get NVMe drive detected during installation, apart from any vendor provided drivers?

Thanks.

Sunday, March 11, 2018 12:23 AM

All replies

• The Microsoft hotfixes for NVMe are necessary, but they alone will not resolve your problems installing Windows 7 on an NVMe.

You must rebuild the installation media using DISM and the boot WIM from Windows 10.  I went through this drill about a year ago and it took me almost a month trying different methods I found searching the internet before I accomplished this goal.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:45 PM
  • Sunday, March 11, 2018 5:01 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. The Dell article mentions the following.

Samsung Drivers (Ver: 1.4.7.6) cannot be used at the same time as the Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 HotFixes (KB2990941, KB3087873).

So I was wondering if these Hotfixes are a must? If I just I directly slipstream Samsung drivers (assuming I have Samsung NVMe SSD) then will Windows 7 SP1 detect Samsung NVMe drive just with the help of Samsung drivers and when those hotfixes are not part of the installation media? Thanks.

Thursday, March 15, 2018 3:07 AM
  • You will have to discuss the information with Dell and/or Samsung.  Or, search the internet for additional information.

The two hotfixes add the necessary files and parameters to Windows 7 to accommodate the NVMe SSD.  Without the two hotfixes Windows 7 does not recognize the NVMe SSD.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:31 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. The Dell article mentions the following.

Samsung Drivers (Ver: 1.4.7.6) cannot be used at the same time as the Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 HotFixes (KB2990941, KB3087873).

So I was wondering if these Hotfixes are a must? If I just I directly slipstream Samsung drivers (assuming I have Samsung NVMe SSD) then will Windows 7 SP1 detect Samsung NVMe drive just with the help of Samsung drivers and when those hotfixes are not part of the installation media? Thanks.

Both the hotfixes are necessary and they have to be slipstreamed into the Windows 7 image for the OS to be able to detect the NVMe SSD drive and perform the installation: if you do that, Windows 7 can be installed on such a disk.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:42 AM
  • I did ask Samsung support. However as per them extraction of INF, CAT & SYS files from their NVMe driver exe is not supported by them. They only expect that exe be run on top of Windows and then driver be installed.

I will have to try the whole thing out and experiment with it once I actually get the real hardware.

Saturday, March 24, 2018 10:54 AM
  • as far as I can see hotfixes are not required.. simply download and install Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.1.exe. Once installed go to C:\Program Files\Samsung\Driver\970_Win7_64 and there they are! of course you would need to install the software to another pc, then simply copy from there!.. too easy
    • Edited by Beanyboy Monday, May 20, 2019 11:32 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2019 11:31 PM