none
SharePoint 2013 Error - This document could not be checked out. You may not have permission ...

Question

• Using SharePoint 2013 and trying to check out a Word (.docx) document. Doc Library settings as follows:

• Versioning settings: Yes to Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited and Create Major Versions
    • Advanced settings:  Default open behavior for browser-enabled documents set to Use Server default (Open in browser)

To check out a document, clicked on the Title or Filename and with the Open Document pop-up, select Check Out and Edit. Another way is to select with a checkmark and then on the Files Ribbon bar, select Check Out. In both cases, got the error message "This document could not be checked out. You may not have permission to check out the document or it is already checked out or locked for editing by another user."

However, if I click on the document and select Read-Only on the pop-up, I don't see the error message and opens up the Word document and if I need to edit, I select the Edit button on the yellow bar.

Would be nice to know why this is happening and if there's a fix (not the workaround by selecting Read-only). We're using IE11, Windows 7, Office 2010.

Thanks!

• Edited by get3rrd0ne Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:32 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:06 PM

Answers

• Thanks, Lisa.

I did check the permission and it also happens to me as a Site Collection Admin. I was able to find a solution where that error doesn't pop up but does not actually resolve the root cause of the issue. So it's a workaround - instead of using Name (link to document) in the Library view, I changed it to Name (link to document and Edit menu) which shows the ellipsis (...) Once a user clicks on the document name, this will automatically pop up the document in client application with the Check Out button displayed on a yellow bar. It's the same behavior whether or not the Version settings is configured to Allow Check Out before Edit (Y/N).

• Marked as answer by get3rrd0ne Friday, April 28, 2017 7:09 PM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hi get3rrd0ne, 

Per my research, It seems like the missing root site collection may results to the issue. make sure there is a root site collection with the same web application.

If  the user cannot check out items after the root collection exists then perform a repair on Microsoft Office.

For more detailed information, refer to the following article:

https://manicprogrammer.net/2012/04/24/sharepoint-2010-users-cannot-check-out-documents-with-ie/

Besides, i suggest you using office 2013 with SharePoint 2013. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Thanks! Having both current versions of Office and SharePoint are ideal but with previous engagements, I never came across this error message even though we use Office 2010 and SharePoint 2013. The only difference I see is the existence of subsites up to 3 levels deep. This makes Permissions setup complicated so I need to see if the same behavior happens to other users of the Doc Library. The subsite where this Doc Library is located is Level3 subsite (think of a subfolder within a subfolder of a parent folder). Until I fix the permissions will I be able to say whether or not the issue is resolved. I will keep this discussion open.
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:42 PM
  • Hi get3rrd0ne, 

Check the permission for the user on the word document. 

Check whether a user with  full control on the document can check out the document. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:32 AM
  • Thanks, Lisa.

I did check the permission and it also happens to me as a Site Collection Admin. I was able to find a solution where that error doesn't pop up but does not actually resolve the root cause of the issue. So it's a workaround - instead of using Name (link to document) in the Library view, I changed it to Name (link to document and Edit menu) which shows the ellipsis (...) Once a user clicks on the document name, this will automatically pop up the document in client application with the Check Out button displayed on a yellow bar. It's the same behavior whether or not the Version settings is configured to Allow Check Out before Edit (Y/N).

• Marked as answer by get3rrd0ne Friday, April 28, 2017 7:09 PM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 7:09 PM
  • Hi get3rrd0ne,

I am glad to hear that the issue is solved.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:55 AM