Windows 2016 Server - Working with the Registry Editor RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning:

I'm currently working with the Registry Editor of a certain user embedded within Windows 2016 Server. Today I'm analyzing the behavior of the registry keys "HKCU" and "HKU" with respect to the association of file extensions.

More specifically, I'm attempting to check if in the registry keys "HKCU" and "HKU" there is any reference to the ".aaa"  file extensions. However, I don't seem to understand how to do so and where to check for those. Which part of the database contains those references? 

Thank you beforehand.

Greetings.

Friday, April 10, 2020 10:58 AM

All replies

1. Click the Start menu and select Command Prompt. If you're using Windows 8.1, right-click the Start button and select Command Prompt. ...
    2. Press ⊞ Win + R , type cmd , and press ↵ Enter .
    3. Press Ctrl + ⇧ Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager. Click the "File" menu, hold Ctrl , and click "Run new task".
    Friday, April 10, 2020 11:09 AM
  • Good morning Charles. Thank you for your answer.

I do know how to access the Registry Editor. However, what I can't understand is which "subdirectory" is created once you try to open a ".aaa" extension file in the Operating System. Because, apparently, once you try to open one of those files, it creates a new entry somewhere in the HCKU registry key.

Greetings and thanks again.

Friday, April 10, 2020 11:23 AM
  • Something here mighthelp.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/shell/fa-intro

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 10, 2020 11:36 AM