none
DPM 2010 Running on Windows Server 2012 Crashes on Recovery Tab RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a server running Windows Server 2012 and DPM 2010. Whenever I click on the recovery tab in DPM I see an MMC box appear stating that the "MMC has stopped working" then closes. I've read a couple of posts where this same issue happens when installed on Server 2012 but is for DPM 2012 and the only "fix" is for DPM 2012 SP1.

Has anyone seen this issue with DPM 2010 running on Windows Server 2012?

Thanks!

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

What made you believe DPM 2010 was supported running on Server 2012 ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:40 AM
  • I didn't install it but that's not the point. I didn't ask a question only to receive a question :)

Is there documentation stating that it is not supported on Windows 2012? I noticed that there are a similar issues with DPM 2012 running on Server 2012 so I'm hoping there is some information on it. Any reason why it is not supported on Server 2012?

Thanks

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

No disrespect, I was curious to know if you found some obscure documentation what pointed you in that direction.

Supported operating systems for DPM 2010 are documented here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399021.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:05 PM
  • No problem, I was asked to take a look at this issue and have been researching to find out what the cause could be. Not sure why it was installed on 2012 (this is my first "exposure" to Server 2012). I've come across a few posts that have the same problems but those are with DPM 2012 on a server that was upgraded to Server 2012 so I suspect that Server 2012 has something to do with it and that's where I'm stuck. I've seen where DPM 2012 SP1 could fix it but was wondering if there is something similar for 2010 but I can't find anything that states if DPM 2010 is supported or not on Server 2012. If it's not supported on Server 2012 would it be possible to backup the DPM configuration as well as the databases that store the backups then blow away the server - install Windows 2008 & DPM 2010 then restore the backups so that no backups are "lost".

Thanks

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, that is the direction you will need to take.  Find out what QFE level the clients DPM server is running, you can get the version by clicking on the i icon to the right of the management tab.  You will need to install the same QFE after the new DPM installation on the Windows 2008 (r2) server and before restoring the current DPMDB.

List of DPM QFE build number and KBID can be found here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4058.list-of-build-numbers-for-system-center-data-protection-manager-dpm-en-us.aspx

Recovery steps are outlined in the following technet article.

Repairing DPM 2010
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399388.aspx

• Marked as answer by jfnva70 Friday, December 14, 2012 4:08 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Ok, at least I know what needs to be done now.

Thanks, I appreciate the info and quick repsonse.

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:08 PM