How to troubleshoot (presumably) driver issues? RRS feed

• Question

• I've also posted part of this in the SP1 forum, but turns out it wasn't really because of Vista or SP1...I think , anyway, here's the issues I've been having:

I have Windows Vista Business and around or on the 12/12/2007 most of my programs started to go awry. First off, upon booting, windows defender and Windows Sidebar crash. Then I have no access to the event viewer because it also crashes. I cannot view jpg files in preview mode (when I press enter to view them, windows explorer crashes). Sometimes I lose internet connectivity in an odd way: if I'm connected through Skype or Yahoo messenger, the connection remains. I can also ping internet hosts (even with DNS name, so it's not a DNS error as it may seem), but no web page will load, and no application will connect. After a while it may or may not work again.

Also, Expression WEB will not start, Visio, Word (when loading an existing file) crash. I've managed to enter in debug mode in Expression Web when it crashes, and the error is Unhandled exception at 0x69a0aabc in EXPRWD.EXE: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x2f0c0f12.

Of course this wouldn't mean anything without the context, so I'll paste the code (wincore.cpp)

LRESULT CWnd::WindowProc(UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)

{

// OnWndMsg does most of the work, except for DefWindowProc call

LRESULT lResult = 0;

if (!OnWndMsg(message, wParam, lParam, &lResult)) <-- exception happens here

lResult = DefWindowProc(message, wParam, lParam);

return lResult;

}

Maybe it will help, but most likely not. I cannot include any events for obvious reasons (can't access the event logs, the mmc crashes)

So, can anyone give me some pointer as to where I should start looking for causes for these issues, considering that there IS NO EVENT LOG! Which sucks...  I've considered the fact that it might be the graphics driver, but these errors also appear in Safe Mode, and I also tried to install like 4 different versions of the graphics driver (nVidia).

Also, how can one reinstall windows vista without losing any application settings and all? (like repairing an installation in Win XP)

Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:41 AM

Answers

• Ok, this became too much of a complication for me, so I just reinstalled Vista from scratch and now the problems seem to be gone. I do suspect, however, that the Office Service Pack 1 was somehow the culprit, although I am not so inclined as to test it out right now.

It's just one of those bugs...

Thanks for the support anyway, I appreciate it.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 12:36 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your post and sorry for reply delay!

Motherboard and BIOS drivers

Before reinstalling Windows Vista, I highly recommend you to try to fix the problem firstly.

Based on my experience, if many applications or services crash unexpectedly at almost one time, both in normal and safe mode. Please check if the system are working with incorrect or legacy drivers for motherboard or BIOS. You may visit the manufacturer’s website and see if updated drivers are available, please install them and check the problem again.

Startup Repair

If that doesn’t resolve the problem, you may also use startup repair to fix the system, for more information about Startup Repair, please use the following Windows Help:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5c59f8c1-b0d1-4f1a-af55-74f3922f3f351033.mspx

In-place Upgrade

You can upgrade in-place, which means you can install Windows Vista and retain your applications, files, and settings as they were in your previous edition of Windows.

Note:

1.    If SP1 prevents you from in-place upgrading, please remove SP1 before doing that.

2.    To reduce the unexpected loss of data, we still recommend you to backup important data before in-place upgrading.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I have tried Startup Repair (it didn't find any issues), then I tried doing an in-place upgrade of windows. The issues still persist.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers from Dell, tried uninstalling the video driver, but that didn't seem to be the problem. I updated the motherboard drivers and wireless as well to no avail.

What else can I do to troubleshoot this?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

Please check your hardware in Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) to see if this issue is caused by incompatibility hardware devices:

Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List

https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

Alternatively, you can let me know your system information and I will check it for you.

Besides, please also check if this problem only occurs with Windows Vista SP1.

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:10 AM
  • Hi,

I have checked my system (Dell Vostro 1500) and found it in the HCL as being qualified for the Windows Vista logo and it is compatible with Windows Vista x86 (which is what I have installed).

Also, this problem does not only occur with Vista SP1, it has also occurred previous to installing SP1.

I have also been able to export my event logs with wevtutil (as the mmc console did not work properly). If you can, please direct me to someone who could make some sense of them/eventually diagnose the root cause of the problem. Because if my system is Vista compatible, then theoretically there should be no problem, and yet there is.

So...what now?

Thanks again for helping out

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:43 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for cooperation and the updated information.

Based on this situation, the problem should not be caused by legacy drivers or compatibility issues. To more efficiently troubleshoot this crash issue, we need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

You understanding is greatly appreciated! And I hope the issue can be fixed soon.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Ok, this became too much of a complication for me, so I just reinstalled Vista from scratch and now the problems seem to be gone. I do suspect, however, that the Office Service Pack 1 was somehow the culprit, although I am not so inclined as to test it out right now.

It's just one of those bugs...

Thanks for the support anyway, I appreciate it.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 12:36 AM